[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TurboC 2.0 vs. TurboC Professional

pete@northstar89.dartmouth.edu (Peter Schmitt) (07/24/89)

I would like to purchase TurboC and began pricing it by looking first
in Computer Shopper.  I found TurboC 2.0 for as low as $85, but the
ad also listed TurboC Professional for $159.

What is the difference (besides price) between these two products.
Why would I want or need one over the other.

-pete schmitt

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/25/89)

I believe the Turbo C professional, (and turbo pascal professional) come with the
Turbo Debugger and Turbo Assembler. (Not so sure about Turbo Assembler). Note that
Turbo C 2.0 already has a built in Debugger that I find adequate for most purposes.
The Turbo Debugger simply adds enhancements to the debugger in the environment.
Also, Turbo Assembler is quite nice, if you plan to write assembly routines.

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
.

snuzs@trsvax.UUCP (07/26/89)

>I would like to purchase TurboC and began pricing it by looking first
>in Computer Shopper.  I found TurboC 2.0 for as low as $85, but the
>ad also listed TurboC Professional for $159.
>
>What is the difference (besides price) between these two products.
>Why would I want or need one over the other.
>
>-pete schmitt

The TurboC Professional package includes Borland's Turbo Debugger and Turbo
Assembler along with the C compiler.

Scott Parrish                   Domain: snuzs@trsvax.Tandy.COM
Tandy Electronics		  UUCP: ...!texbell!letni!trsvax!snuzs
Fort Worth, Texas                   or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!snuzs
DISCLAIMER:  Since Tandy Corporation won't be responsible for what I say, I
guess I'll have to be.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/27/89)

In article <111700129@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
 >I believe the Turbo C professional, (and turbo pascal professional) come with the
 >Turbo Debugger and Turbo Assembler. (Not so sure about Turbo Assembler). Note that
 >Turbo C 2.0 already has a built in Debugger that I find adequate for most purposes.
 >The Turbo Debugger simply adds enhancements to the debugger in the environment.
 >Also, Turbo Assembler is quite nice, if you plan to write assembly routines.

All of the "Turbo <whatever> Professional" packages include a copy of the
Turbo Debugger, as well as the stuff you get standard with the "Turbo
<whatever>" package.

Note that Milan may have been confused, because the Turbo Assembler (*not*
"Turbo Assembler Professional"; there is no such thing) comes with the
Turbo Debugger.  Since Turbo Assembler doesn't have an integrated
edit/compile/debug environment like TC and TP do, I guess Borland felt that
they had to include a debugger to keep their product line consistant
(i.e., each program comes with a debugger -- TC and TP have it built-in,
and TA comes with a separate program).

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

jdjr@pnet02.gryphon.com (Craig Miwa) (09/04/89)

Yes.
The professional Series just includes the Turbo Debugger and Assembler. Which
makes the deal a lot cheaper then getting them seperatly.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!jdjr
INET: jdjr@pnet02.gryphon.com