[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RESTRICTION

marcap@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Marc Pawlowsky) (08/25/89)

Not only do restrictions apply on CRYPT but they also apply on
some common programs such as dBase III+.  A copy I bought two
years ago had a sticker on it saying that it may not be distributed
outside USA and Canada due to US regulations.

I use to work in a computer store across from ICAO (International
Civil Aviation Organization (A UN body)) and we had a few diplomats
buy the package over the counter.  (Even showed us the diplomatic
immunity card, so they would not pay sales tax.)  I can not see that
the evil empire :-) does not have a smuggled copy (through a diplomatic pouch),
but the restrictions still apply.  (Interesting enough all the east european
diplomats wanted lap tops to take home, but did not want to bring the boxes with
them.

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (09/04/89)

In article <1119@clyde.Concordia.CA> marcap@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Marc Pawlowsky) writes:
>Not only do restrictions apply on CRYPT but they also apply on
>some common programs such as dBase III+.

Many times, the vendors of these programs (AutoCAD, dBase) have specialized
or copy protected versions for international shipment. Also, the distribution
channels are different as is the license fee.  We run into this quite a bit,
and although restrictions do exist on crypt type programs, for the most part,
major software companies have agreements with firms overseas to sell their
products.

Robert White
scicom!rcw