[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modified drives

marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) (08/22/89)

>In article <13809@netnews.upenn.edu> wist@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Bundy Wist) writes:
>>Another solution for you hardware hackers is to actually bypass the switch
>>sensor that looks for the 1.4/720 hole. On my TEAC 1.4M, this switch is just
>>opposite the write protect switch.

  I made a functionally equivalent hardware modification to my Toshiba
drive by simply cutting the pin that senses the high/low density hole
with a Swiss Army knife. Why should I let my drive decide which format
I want?

In article <1827@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> kubla@uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) writes:
>This is precisely why I chose to return the jumper to its normal setting -
>what good is a floppy disk if only _I_ can make use of it? That's what I have
>a hard disk for! I want floppies so that I can transport files to other
>machines. Of course, this is only my own preference - I'm sure you have your
>reasons for not wanting to take floppies you write on your system over to
>your office or a friend's house... :-)

  If you feel the need to reduce your options fine. The rest of us
don't need to spend nearly twice the money for disks whose only
advantage is a strategically placed 2mm hole. Not only have I never
heard of a "low density" diskette failing to hold 1.44MB but drives
that check for the hole are rare and getting rarer every day. If I
bought a drive that had a "density" sensor I would return it as
_defective_.

	Roger
		marquis@qal.berkeley.edu

sid@brambo.UUCP (Sid Van den Heede) (09/04/89)

Is the "strategically placed 2mm hole" used by the write electronics or is
it just feedback for software to enquire the type of disk for writing
purposes?  My software allows me to format a DD disk for 1.44Mb but it
starts to have problems near the 20th cylinder.  This suggests to me that
either the media is incapable of the required number of fluxes or that
the switch is used by the electronics.