[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting 800k on 3.5" disks

pais16@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Paisley Cursus ) (08/31/89)

From a friend I received a 3.5 inch diskette, formatted with 10 sectors/track,
which results in 800k (double sided). This was done however on an ATARI ST.
But to my big surprise, my PC has no trouble reading it, and chkdsk nicely
reported it indeed was a 800k disk.
So you have 80k extra with no trouble!
My question is: does anyone know of a program (preferably public domain) that
can do the same trick on a MS-DOS PC ? I looked in the directory MSDOS.DSKUTL
at SIMTEL20, but couldn't find anything like that.
Please answer to me directly, since I'm not a member of this group.
Thanks in advance,

Jos Grote Punt

noelroy@kean.mun.ca (Noel Roy, Economics Dept., Memorial University) (09/05/89)

In article <423@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl>, pais16@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Paisley Cursus ) writes:
> which results in 800k (double sided). This was done however on an ATARI ST.
> But to my big surprise, my PC has no trouble reading it, and chkdsk nicely
> reported it indeed was a 800k disk.
> So you have 80k extra with no trouble!
> My question is: does anyone know of a program (preferably public domain) that
> can do the same trick on a MS-DOS PC ? I looked in the directory MSDOS.DSKUTL
> at SIMTEL20, but couldn't find anything like that.
> Please answer to me directly, since I'm not a member of this group.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jos Grote Punt

There is a program in the SIMTEL archives called MAXI5.ARC (in the
DSKUTL directory) which will do this.  It will do similar things to
360K and 1.2M diskettes.

It is accompanied by a bios patch which some machines use.

| Dr. Noel Roy                                                          |
| Room A3048                                Phone (709) 737-8245/8      |
| Department of Economics                   FAX   (709) 737-4569        |
| Memorial University of Newfoundland                                   |
| St. John's, Newfoundland A1C 5S7 Canada                               |
| bitnet:   NOELROY@MUN                                                 |
| internet: noelroy%kean.mun.ca@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu                |
| cdnnet:   noelroy@kean.mun.cdn                                        |
| uunet:    noelroy@munucs.UUCP                                         |
|                 o                o                                    |
| icbmnet:  lat 47 34'6"N   long 52 44'8"W  alt 69m                     |