[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Old IBM AT; recommend new HD -- not an ST251 !

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/28/89)

avoid the seagate 20M/30M and st251.  their performance specs
are a bunch of crap.  the 251-1s are not true 28ms drives.
if you don't care about access time, then check this:

the 251s are known to refuse to spin up on alternate thursdays.  (randomly).
a quick rap with a hammer usually fixes the problem!  do you want to
trust your data to seagate?  NO!

--
 ... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);6178906844;6178591389; {}
/* free email to fax gateway for destinations in metro Boston area. */

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (09/01/89)

In article <4420@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>avoid the seagate 20M/30M and st251.  their performance specs
>are a bunch of crap.  the 251-1s are not true 28ms drives.
>if you don't care about access time, then check this:
>
>the 251s are known to refuse to spin up on alternate thursdays.  (randomly).
>a quick rap with a hammer usually fixes the problem!  do you want to
>trust your data to seagate?  NO!

> ... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);6178906844;6178591389; {}

I wonder if you ever tested an ST-251. I used a ST-251 for over a year
before I changed to a ST-4096 because of more capacity needed. The
machine with the 251 run for about a year 5 days of week for about 3 or 4 hours
every day, sometimes more (up to 12 hours a day). Over this time I did
not have any problems with the disk (It now runs in another machine
without any problems too).

Several performance measuring programs said it has an random access time
of about 25ms (!). With an WD-1006 the ST-251 has a data transfer rate
(at interleave 1:1) of about 400k per second with an 10Mhz AT.

I know some other people running such disks, none of them had ever
problems with an ST-251. I think there were one or two new ones, that
did not work from the beginning, but if ST-251's worked for a week, they
did never had any failures.

Of course there are disks that are better, faster ... and more expensive !!
And the most expensive disks crash somtimes too.

If you ever write an article here about harddisks again, please be
more objective.

Kai Uwe Rommel

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) (09/05/89)

On the subject of ST-251s, a few months back talk was rampant in the trade
press of a serious lapse in Seagate's quality control. It seems that many
resellers and distributors were reporting a high failure rate on low end
Seagates, not just the ST-251s. Lately, however, they have been tightening
things back up to the point where the reported failures are back within the
same range as the other manufacturers. I have a ST-251-1 in my 386 at home,
and my prior employer has several ST-251s which have run 24 hours/day with
not one problem (this over a period of several months). All of these drives
have been purchased within the last year. Reports from dealers and distributors
also seem to indicate that Seagate has its act together again. I would
recommend to anyone that Seagate drives be seriously considered as a possible
upgrade path. IMHO, they offer good performance at an excellent price.

#ifdef SUSPICIOUS_READER
#define DISCLAIMER "I have no affiliation with Seagate."
#endif

Scott
kubla@uiuc.edu