[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS4.01 and MS C5.0 incompatible?

kenf@mentor.com (Ken Fletcher) (09/01/89)

I hope that someone has an answer to this problem.  I own an XT clone
an current use MS-DOS3.2, which came with the maching when I bought it
new.  I purchased the MS "C" 5.0 compiler and it has been working fine
for about a year and a half.  Now that MS-DOS 4.01 is out I would like
to upgrade.  A co-worker bought a new AT clone and it has DOS 4.01.  I
loaded "C" 5.0 on his machine to verify compatibility before I buy, and
it does not run.  Some programs compile but crash when run.  Others will
not compile and get a fatal err.  Some programs will not link, and "CL"
states that the *.OBJ is incompatible.  QuickC1.0 which came with "C" 5.0
will not link the OBJ.  It does not place any comments in the link.err
file.

Has Microsoft indeed made "their new DOS" incompatible with "their full
blown compiler" and "their QuickC" or is there a fix for this?  I can't
see buying a new DOS if one of my most expensive pieces of SW will not
run under it.  Then again, maybe this is a good time to buy the new DOS
and all new SW and write all of my programs to be compatible.  :-(
I think not!

Any help, or suggestions appreciated.  Is it all just pilot error and
I have crash in their flight simulator too?

Personal mail of net posting welcome.  Maybe others can benefit from this
experience too!

Thanks,

Ken

kenf@pdx.MENTOR.COM            or      tektronix!sequent!pdx.mentor.com!kenf
+ Ken Fletcher  WB7QYB         My methods and opinions posted here are not the +
+                              methods and opinions of Mentor Graphics, Inc.   +
+ JOH 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and                +
+ only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have             +
+ eternal life.                                                                +

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/02/89)

In article <1989Aug31.183154.6627@mentor.com>, kenf@mentor.com (Ken Fletcher) writes:
     [setup info about MSC 5.0 on DOS 4.01]
> it does not run.  Some programs compile but crash when run.  Others will
> not compile and get a fatal err.  Some programs will not link, and "CL"
> states that the *.OBJ is incompatible.  QuickC1.0 which came with "C" 5.0
> will not link the OBJ.  It does not place any comments in the link.err
> file.

I routinely compile objects under MSC 5.1 both under DOS 3.3 and DOS 4.01
                                      ^^^
and have no problem porting executables accross either direction.  Maybe
you should upgrade you compiler ($75 bucks when I did it a year or so ago)

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (09/04/89)

I've been using msc 5.0 and DOS 4.0x for over a year now, no probs here.

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

wnbell@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (William Bell) (09/06/89)

I have a 386 type computer and it came with 1 game port which
I use for a joystick. My question is is there a Y-connector
somewhere which will allow 2 players to play a game with 2 joysticks?
I really don't want to buy another game controller (because mine
came with RS232 also).
eg.
                                  ---------Joystick 1
  computer game port :-------------
                                  ---------Joystick 2

                                ^---This is Y controller

Normally 2 game ports and 2 joysticks with no Y-controller, right?

I want to have the same functionality using 1 game port. Is this
possible with my current Game port? Where do I get the right connector?