[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WINDOWS/DESQVIEW

mark.crozet@canremote.uucp (MARK CROZET) (08/29/89)

Would somebody recommend a solution to me.  I have a 286 12 mhz
with 1 MB RAM and a 512 k Intel memory expansion board.  I also
have a 512 k AST VGA plus card and NEC Multisync II monitor. I am
using Windows 286 and have my memory setup as follows (I think!
Is there any way I can check?) 640 k conventional, 384 k
Ramdrive, 512 k Expanded memory.  However I still get out of
memory messages in Windows when I try some things!

Would Deskview? be better, what version would I get? Would a
cache help me? what is a cache?

Thanks in advance!

IMKM;
: P ark
P   P

Mark
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #3172  See ya latah alligatah

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/02/89)

In article <89083106371645@masnet.uucp>, mark.crozet@canremote.uucp (MARK CROZET) writes:
	[ miscellaneous setup stuff...]
> However I still get out of
> memory messages in Windows when I try some things!

What out of memory messages are you getting?  If you are getting messages
like "Not enough memory to run ..." you might want to try to create
a PIF file and in the PIF file request all the memory you can get for the
program.

Disclaimer: This is what one usually needs to do under Windows 386, and I
am assuming a similar mechanism exists under windows/286.  If not, sorry
for the misleading info.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (09/05/89)

In article <89083106371645@masnet.uucp>, mark.crozet@canremote.uucp (MARK CROZET) writes:
> Would somebody recommend a solution to me.  I have a 286 12 mhz
> with 1 MB RAM and a 512 k Intel memory expansion board.  I also
> have a 512 k AST VGA plus card and NEC Multisync II monitor. I am
> using Windows 286 and have my memory setup as follows (I think!
> Is there any way I can check?) 640 k conventional, 384 k
> Ramdrive, 512 k Expanded memory.  However I still get out of
> memory messages in Windows when I try some things!

It depends on what sort of applications you want to run. Windows is best when
you stick to mostly Windows applications. Desqview will run anything.

I would suggest that you run SMARTDRV ( a disk cache) instead of RAMDRIVE, which
I assume you're running in extended (not expanded) memory.

Windows will still run out of memory (particularly on a 286) because it muse use
mostly conventional memory for each application.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) (09/06/89)

Would someone have a recommendation for me concering what mail order
place sells desqview for the 80286 and what would be a good price?
Also,whether or not it will work on an AT&T 6300 Plus running Starlan?

Thanks for any assistance.