[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Hard disk security program

paul@aucs.uucp (Paul Steele) (09/06/89)

I need a program for password protecting a hard disk so no one can
get at the hard disk unless they know the password.  This would be
even better if booting from floppy doesn't break the protection. I
know there must be such a program available.  If anyone has any info
please let me know.
--
Paul H. Steele    UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!Paul
Acadia University BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)

mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (09/06/89)

In article <1989Sep5.185721.4499@aucs.uucp> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
>I need a program for password protecting a hard disk so no one can
>get at the hard disk unless they know the password.  This would be
>even better if booting from floppy doesn't break the protection. I
>know there must be such a program available.  If anyone has any info
>please let me know.

Golden Bow Systems at (619) 298-9349

produces a product called VFeature and VFeature deluxe. This package offers the
ability to divide the disk into multiple partitions, and have one large
bootable partition. Two drives can be spanned to produce one drive. As far
as security goes, if you don't enter the password the partition will be
recognized. A driver is loaded from the config.sys, and if you boot from a
floopy without the device driver and the correct password entered, the
partition won't be recognized. I've installed this package on 4-5 dozen
systems. It's very good.

Michael S. Richey
mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu
BITNET: mrichey@UCI   Voice: (714) 856-8374