[comp.sys.ibm.pc] setting the environment with long value strings...

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) (09/04/89)

I am looking for a simple way to set the environment variables in
the command processor (COMMAND.COM) when their values are > 128
characters in length. For example I have a PATH string
approx. 180 characters in length so using set PATH=<pathstring> won't
work. A program with source would be best (I need to use it in my
AUTOEXEC.BAT as well as other batch files). Any pointers to, or copies
of, such programs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/05/89)

In article <7058@rpi.edu> spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) writes:

>I am looking for a simple way to set the environment variables in
>the command processor (COMMAND.COM) when their values are > 128

A program to do this is currently in the queue for Comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
called APPENV.COM .. does exactly what you (and I) need.  Email me if you
cannot wait for it.. should be posted within a couple of weeks I think.

-Mark

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (09/07/89)

> I am looking for a simple way to set the environment variables in
> the command processor (COMMAND.COM) when their values are > 128
> characters in length. For example I have a PATH string

  If the only long variable you have is the PATH variable you need a freebb
utility called ADDPATH which simply adds to the path variable whatever you
give it.  My autoexec.bat has an entry like:

PATH=C:\;nextdir;nextdir;
ADDPATH \UTIL\NORTON
ADDPATH \UTIL\PCKWIK
ADDPATH \etc...
.
.
It seems to work just fine.  There is an accompanying utility called DELPATH
which, you guessed it, removes paths from the PATH var.

Hope this helps,

Ken