[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNIX-like crypt function

wsinpvb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (p.v.bemmelen) (08/17/89)

I am writing a program on a UNIX system that uses the crypt() function.
Now I want to port this program to MS-DOS, but the problem is that I don't
have a crypt() function, (source or object code).
Who can help me obtain a crypt() function ?? One that runs faster than the
standard unix one would also be welcome to speed up the UNIX version as well.

Greetings,

wsinpvb@eutrc3.UUCP
wsinpvb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl

hinton@netcom.UUCP (Greg Hinton) (08/18/89)

In article <855@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> wsinpvb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (p.v.bemmelen) writes:
>Who can help me obtain a crypt() function ?? One that runs faster than the
>standard unix one would also be welcome to speed up the UNIX version as well.

I believe Robert T. Morris has just what you're looking for! :-)
--
Greg Hinton
INET: hinton@netcom.uucp

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (08/20/89)

[request for crypt function]

Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
in the "wrong" hands through the network?

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!walt!nghiem

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/20/89)

In  <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
> What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?

	The ruskies will then be able to decode all of our secret military
transmissions, bringing about the fall of democracy as we know it today and
subjecting the entire planet to the dominance of the evil empire.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (08/21/89)

:
:	The ruskies will then be able to decode all of our secret military
:transmissions, bringing about the fall of democracy as we know it today and
:subjecting the entire planet to the dominance of the evil empire.

Not to mention that the Colonel's secret fried chicken recipe would be
placed in grave danger!

--
                                  David Sandberg - Quadric Systems
  "Strike Hard, Strike Sure"      PSEUDO: dts@quad.uucp

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (08/22/89)

In article <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
>U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
>in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Not a lot.  Picture this: person who is in another country with his
machine on the Internet ftp's the appropriate crypt binary (or source
if he has it) via one of his accounts in the US.  It's quite probably
happened quite a few times; it's not a high-security item.  It's just
Officially Frowned Upon for some terribly good reason which escapes me
at the moment.  (This last bit was explained to me by an ex-NSA friend
who's now at DEC of all places.)

Andrew Boardman
amb@cs.columbia.edu
(for those that must, ab4@cunixc on bitnet)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/22/89)

In article <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
>U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
>in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Nothing happens.  The UNIX crypt routines (all of them) have long been
in the "wrong hands".  The export restriction applies to software vendors,
primarily because they haven't been able to obtain blanket export licenses
from the Commerce Dept. and the cost of doing them one at a time is
prohibitive.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (08/22/89)

}
}Not a lot.  Picture this: person who is in another country with his
}machine on the Internet ftp's the appropriate crypt binary (or source
}if he has it) via one of his accounts in the US.  It's quite probably
}happened quite a few times; it's not a high-security item.  It's just
}Officially Frowned Upon for some terribly good reason which escapes me
}at the moment.  (This last bit was explained to me by an ex-NSA friend
}who's now at DEC of all places.)

Besides, the DES algorithm has been written up any number of times in
easy-to-get publications....  I read such a write-up a couple of years ago,
and the only really subtle part is the exact values to use in the substitution
tables.  In a nutshell, it splits, substitutes, transposes, and recombines
64 bits, combining them with the key along the way, then repeats that same
process another fifteen times.

Seems kind of silly to prohibit the export of an implementation of an
algorithm that is sufficiently well-known outside the US for a non-US
implementation to be shipped back *into* the US....  (check comp.sources.unix
a coupla volumes back for "des-no-usa")
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

In article <5927@pt.cs.cmu.edu> I wrote:
}Besides, the DES algorithm has been written up any number of times in
}easy-to-get publications....

A quick check of our library's holdings revealed four hits (trimmed versions
reproduced below).  Obviously not too secret if I can just walk into the
library and check out four books on the DES.

  COPY ONE  E&S-COMP       510.78452 U58d c.1
  TITLE     Data encryption standard / U. S. Department of Commerce, National
            Bureau of Standards.
            FIPS pub 46.
  CITATION  Washington, D.C. : NBS ; Springfield, Va. : for sale by the National
            Technical Information Service, 1977. 18 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.

  COPY ONE  SEI-BK         QA76.9 .A25K19 c.2
  AUTHOR    Katzan, Harry.
  TITLE     The standard data encryption algorithm / Harry Katzan, Jr.
  CITATION  New York : PBI, c1977. viii, 134 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
  NOTES     "A Petrocelli book." Includes index.

  COPY ONE  E&S-BK         510.7854 C742c c.1
  CONFERENCE
            Conference on Computer Security and the Data Encryption Standard,
            Gaithersburg, Md., 1977.
  TITLE     Computer security and the data encryption standard : proceedings of
            the Conference on Computer Security and the Data Encryption Standard
            held at the National Bureau of Standards in Gaithersburg, Maryland,
            on February 15, 1977 /
            Computer science & technology
            NBS special publication ; 500-27
  CITATION  Washington : The Bureau : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt.
            Print. Off., 1978. viii, 125 p. ; 26cm.

  COPY ONE  E&S-BK         510.7854 G14v c.1
  AUTHOR    Gait, Jason.
  TITLE     Validating the correctness of hardware implementations of the NBS
            Data Encryption Standard / Jason Gait.
            Computer science & technology
            NBS special publication ; 500-20
  CITATION  Washington : U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Bureau of Standards :
            for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1977. iii,
            40 p. 28 cm.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask
DISCLAIMER? | "Let me write down the natural numbers and then stop."
What's that?|   -- Alan Demers (in Upson's Familiar Quotations)

In article <310@cs.columbia.edu> amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) writes:
>Not a lot.  Picture this: person who is in another country with his
>machine on the Internet ftp's the appropriate crypt binary (or source
>if he has it) via one of his accounts in the US.  It's quite probably
>happened quite a few times; it's not a high-security item.  It's just
>Officially Frowned Upon for some terribly good reason which escapes me
>at the moment.  (This last bit was explained to me by an ex-NSA friend
>who's now at DEC of all places.)

  It's not just "Officially Frowned Upon," it's illegal.  Exporting
any encryption technology, or in some cases software which uses
encryption technology (even if you don't include the encryption
technology with the software), outside of the United States is
illegal.

  Actually, that's not quite true, because "mass market" software is
exportable.  Rumor around here has it that the State Department's
definition of "mass market" is "runs on a PC".  Great.

  Yes, anybody that wants the sources to crypt() can get it with no
problem at all.  The Russians already have it.  Anybody else who
really wants it probably already has it.  But it's still illegal to
export it.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				432 S. Rose Blvd.
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Akron, OH  44320
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 216-869-6432

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (08/31/89)

From article <13885@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, by jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens):
>   Actually, that's not quite true, because "mass market" software is
> exportable.  Rumor around here has it that the State Department's
> definition of "mass market" is "runs on a PC".  Great.

Hmmm... my copy of PC Tools Deluxe came with all sorts of warnings about how
the encryption part of COMPRESS was disabled on international versions.  I
was wondering why.  Now I know...
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@fergvax.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
						 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) (09/03/89)

In article <13885@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  Yes, anybody that wants the sources to crypt() can get it with no
>problem at all.  The Russians already have it.  Anybody else who
>really wants it probably already has it.  But it's still illegal to
>export it.

Nowadays yes. But in ancient times it was distributed with the BSD 4.2
sources. Quite a gag..

--
Per Andersson                                  #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Physically phfffft) (09/06/89)

In article <13885@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
-
-  Yes, anybody that wants the sources to crypt() can get it with no
-problem at all.  The Russians already have it.  Anybody else who
-really wants it probably already has it.  But it's still illegal to
-export it.
-
Maybe those of you overseas can buy it from the Russians.....

Jim
"Only dead fish go with the flow"

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/07/89)

In article <468@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Physically phfffft) writes:
>In article <13885@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>-  Yes, anybody that wants the sources to crypt() can get it with no
>-problem at all.  The Russians already have it.  Anybody else who
>-really wants it probably already has it.  But it's still illegal to
>-export it.

>Maybe those of you overseas can buy it from the Russians.....

Nah, no need to do so. We just go buy a book on cryptography and implements
DES from it. That has been done multiple times. See the comp.sources
for an implementation done by someone in Finland.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB