[comp.sys.ibm.pc] lint and/or cb for DOS?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/31/89)

I'm looking for a *good* version of cb(1) for MS-DOS.  I have tried
the C Users' Group one, but it isn't flexible enough for my tastes:
It just prints the code out the way *it* wants to, rather than the
way *I* prefer to.  Here is a sample of my coding style, if it
helps any:

/*
 * hello.c: Prints "hello, world! (I'm #1!)" and exits.
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <process.h>

void main(void);

void main()
{
        char    *first,
                *second;
        int      i;

        first = "hello";
        second = "world";
        i = 1;

        if(strcmp(first,"hello") == 0) {
                printf("%s, %s! (I'm #%d!)\n", first, second, i);
                exit(0);
        } else {
                printf("We got troubles, Boss!\n");
                exit(1);
        }
}

I'd like something that will come as close to the above as possible.
Configurability is a plus (something like the cb(1) in SysV.3 would
be fine)

I'm also looking for a *good* version of lint(1) for MS-DOS.  I haven't
actually seen *any* copies of this floating around, so I'll probably
take what I can get...

Source code is a plus, especially if it's in C.  I'd like this to be
PD, freeware, or shareware if possible (I don't want to go running
to MKS if at all possible: I'm sure their products are good, but
they're also expensive).  Thanks...

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/02/89)

In article <612.24FC7A18@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, I wrote:
 >I'm looking for a *good* version of cb(1) for MS-DOS.  I have tried
 >the C Users' Group one, but it isn't flexible enough for my tastes:
 >It just prints the code out the way *it* wants to, rather than the
 >way *I* prefer to.  Here is a sample of my coding style, if it
 >helps any:
[program deleted]
 >I'd like something that will come as close to the above as possible.
 >Configurability is a plus (something like the cb(1) in SysV.3 would
 >be fine)
 >
 >I'm also looking for a *good* version of lint(1) for MS-DOS.  I haven't
 >actually seen *any* copies of this floating around, so I'll probably
 >take what I can get...

I have gotten back 4 or 5 responses on the cb(1) program; all of them
suggested "indent".  I have obtained this program from simtel20, and
it's just what I was looking for: A close copy of 4.3BSD cb(1).

I still haven't found any info on lint, though.  Any ideas?

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
UUCP dumb     : ...!uunet!sharkey!mudos!mju
UUCP dumb alt.: ...!{ames,rutgers}!mailrus!clip!mudos!mju
Internet      : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) (09/07/89)

I went looking for a "lint" program (for someone here on campus)
recently too.  The only thing I came up with was <msdos.c>C_CHECK.ARC
on SIMTEL20.  It includes source, but that looked like it was used as
a sample to be run thru C_CHECK to demo its capabilities.  In other words,
if you run the source thru C_CHECK, you'll get a list of things that
need fixing.  Still, the EXE did function, but I can't comment on how
much work it would take to get the source into a compilable state.