[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq Deskpro 386/20 Hard Disk Upgrades

davidg@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Davig Gonzales) (09/07/89)

-----------------------

Hi,
	Our company has some Compaq 386's (Deskpro 386/20 Model 60) that
currently are running with one 60 Mb Hard Disk. My question is: can you
upgrade the system(s) to include a second 60 Mb hard drive? I heard somewhere
that Compaq uses their own disk controllers. Is this correct? And if so,
does that mean that I will need a *special* hard drive? If not, what type of
60 Mb (or greater) hard drive could/should I get?

						Thanks,
						David A. Gonzales
						ERC
						davidg@uns-helios.NEVADA.EDU

-------------------

caa@garnet.ssd.cdc.com (Charles A. Anderson) (09/08/89)

davidg@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Davig Gonzales) writes:
>                                                            I heard somewhere
>that Compaq uses their own disk controllers. Is this correct? And if so,
>does that mean that I will need a *special* hard drive? If not, what type of
>60 Mb (or greater) hard drive could/should I get?
>						davidg@uns-helios.NEVADA.EDU

I also have recently acquired a compaq 386/20 with a 40 meg drive and I
wanted to upgrade it to a Wren V.  Intially I figured that the compaq
probally just had an ESDI controller in it so I should be able to plug
in a 383meg wren v but when I found that the price difference was only
$475 between a 383meg ESDI and a 702meg SCSI drive (about 2/3 cost per
byte) I think I'll try to get the SCSI version.  Does anyone have any
experience with SCSI dirve in the compaq, and what SCSI controllers
do you recommend?

-Charles Anderson

(since this doesn't have much to do with postscript I just posted it to
c.s.i.p.)
--
Charles Anderson |  caa@garnet.ssd.cdc.com \ Disclaimer: I said what?
----------------/     caa@midgard.mn.org     \           But CDC didn't.