[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using Xenix/Unix machines with Novell file servers

sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) (09/06/89)

Is it possible to put a Xenix/Unix machine on the Novell file server?
By 'machine' i'm obviously hoping it's more general than just a
286/386: what about Sun workstations?  One could have a concept of
mounting the remote file system so that the unix machine thinks of it
as a distinct device.

Which brings me to problem two: If anyone has done such a thing, do
you have mayhem on file formats?  (starting with CRLF and LF)  Is it
meaningful having such a file system visible to you from a Unix
workstation?

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, sawant@nunki.usc.edu
                                                         Gandalf for President!

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (09/08/89)

In article <4954@merlin.usc.edu>, sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) writes:

> Is it possible to put a Xenix/Unix machine on the Novell file server?
> By 'machine'

At company I work with I have a similar problem. Having to deal with an
existing (small) Novell network, (everyone already has PCs), and wanting
to have the benefits of Unix, for all that unix provides.

At the moment, Unix means Microport 286 with Locus DOS Merge. I have a
script called 'net'. When I type net, it runs DOS, attaches to the server
and logs in as a restricted login. I then can copy files from the server
(drives K: and H:) to the unix machine (drive C:). The CR CR+LF translation
is handled by programs called unix2dos and dos2unix (used like copy).

Problems... Due to address conflicts, interrupt conflicts, gremlins, etc,
if I am attached to the server, and a call comes in on tty1 (the only
modem, internal), suddenly I get logged out of the server. I can log back
in, without having to re-run the net program, but it's annoying.

Also, there is no way to get to the unix machine from Novell. I have been
thinking of installing a serial port on the server, and connecting it
to the unix machine, so anyone on the net can use the port as a gateway.
It's messy, but they don't feel like shelling out for a multi port card,
and a bunch of terminals, etc....

By the way, I believe the 386 Merge product would work much better, but
this is a 286 machine. I don't know much about the Interactive VP/ix
product, and I already have Merge...

So there's my 2 cents worth!

Christopher A. Nielsen
//////////////////            Zorin Data Systems, Inc
           ////      P.O. Box 5669 Santa Monica, CA 90405-0669
        ////                    (213) 399-3804 x 45
     ////		     UUCP: randvax!zorin!info
  ////
< Online Product Information and other services - Call or write for free demo >