[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ramdisk Wanted

angelini@irisa.irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (09/08/89)

Hello.
I'm looking for a RamDisk to speed up the Two Disk's Pc our students are using on our network.

I want it to be Public Domain( indeed !!).
It can be brought up as a device (in config.sys) or as a program (in Autoexec).
It must work on a normal 640K PC.
The main feature I expect is TO BE REMOVABLE (without the need of rebooting)

I tried Vdisk 1.0 (from Jeremy Lannin), but the VDISKOUT feature just doesn't
 work under DOS 3.20.

You can either send me it as a compressed file (.arc) or tell me where I can find it.

Thanks.

________________________________________________________________________________Pierre Antoine ANGELINI (PAA)              | E-MAIL : angelini@irisa.fr
IFSIC /IRISA                               |
Atelier Micro                              | Telephone : 99.36.20.00 poste 480
Universite de Rennes I                     |
Campus de beaulieu                         | Fax : 99.38.38.32
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE                |
--------------------------------PACE ET SALUTE----------------------------------

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (G. Wang) (09/10/89)

In article <1445@irisa.irisa.fr> angelini@irisa.irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) writes:
>Hello.
>I'm looking for a RamDisk to speed up the Two Disk's Pc our students are using on our network.
>
>I want it to be Public Domain( indeed !!).
>It can be brought up as a device (in config.sys) or as a program (in Autoexec).
>It must work on a normal 640K PC.
>The main feature I expect is TO BE REMOVABLE (without the need of rebooting)
>
>I tried Vdisk 1.0 (from Jeremy Lannin), but the VDISKOUT feature just doesn't
> work under DOS 3.20.

I have the most wonderous PD ramdisk ever... It consists of only TWO
SMALL files: RAMDRV.COM which is a 512 byte device driver and the
actual program called RAMDISK.COM which 1024 bytes long... This
program allows you to specify the size of ram disk at any time
and allows you to remove it from memory at anytime... When you
wish to change the size of the ram drive, you must first deactivate
it first and then reactivate it as the new size...

This program works fine on my 640K system.. The only bad thing is
I think it doesn't support EMS or Extended memory... It was written
in 1985 so I'm not sure if it has been updated....

I picked it up off some PD BBS in Illinois... I have it on my system
and I can send you an ARC though I'm not sure if your unix
address is valid from my system (You're in France...) Our school's
computers are on the INTERNET so you'll have to give me an INTERNET
compatible address....

Hope this helps...

George Wang
University of Illinois