[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP w/LOTUS!

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (09/07/89)

  Help! I have a legal copy of LOTUS 2.01 and I'm trying to install it on
  my hard drive using the install program. The problem is that the install
  program cannot process my system diskettes to move my copy protection to
  hard drive so that I do not need the system disk in drive A.

  I believe the trouble is in the fact that it is trying to process the
  disk SUPERKEY copy protection scheme through a 3.5" diskette drive.
  This is the first time I have experienced problems with LOTUS in this
  manner.

  My question is this... if I have a legal copy of LOTUS, can I patch the
  copy protection scheme myself. How can I do this? I know that many of you
  netters know this strategy? So EMAIL ME.

  Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to use LOTUS w/o the key
  disk.

*  Thank You,                           texbell!letni!rwsys!trsvax!slimer  *
*         Bill           "I love it when you talk COBOL!" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-2871  *

root@tubbs.UUCP (Chris Moustakis) (09/10/89)

From article <216100135@trsvax>, by slimer@trsvax.UUCP:

>   Help! I have a legal copy of LOTUS 2.01 and I'm trying to install it on
>   my hard drive using the install program. The problem is that the install
>   program cannot process my system diskettes to move my copy protection to
>   hard drive so that I do not need the system disk in drive A.

Find someone who has a copy of the Lotus Release 3 and on the installation
disk there is a program called 'ZAP', which removes the protection for you.

Or you could try Copyiipc, it will also do that for you.

Chris.

--
 Chris Moustakis | ..!<smart-host>!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!tubbs!chris
        @        |     "Those who think they know it all ...

smith@ug.cs.dal.ca (Your Worst Nightmare) (09/11/89)

	Check on your Value Pack diskette-it should have a file called
INIT.COM which both removes the copy protection and adds your name (and
company) to the "guilty" screen which Lotus displays when you enter 123.

	Sean Smith

|   Sean Smith - Damage Inc.         "Let me tell you what you're trying   |
|   Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada      to say..."  01SSMITH@AC.DAL.CA too   |
|   These ideas are mine...ALL MINE!!!  *maniacal laughter*                |

stoen@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Rick Stoen) (09/11/89)

In article <1989Sep10.231424.25552@ug.cs.dal.ca> smith@ug.cs.dal.ca.UUCP (Your Worst Nightmare) writes:

>	Check on your Value Pack diskette-it should have a file called
>INIT.COM which both removes the copy protection and adds your name (and
>company) to the "guilty" screen which Lotus displays when you enter 123.
>
>	Sean Smith

Here is something to be aware of when unprotecting Lotus and may have
something to do with the original problem of transferring the copy
protection to a hard disk.

I was removing the copy protection on about 30 copies of Lotus v 2.01
here at Iowa State this summer and found about 25% of the value pack
disks were unreadable. I called Lotus about the problem and they told
me to make sure that no RAM resident programs were installed and the
machine was running at the slowest speed possible. This solved the
problem on all but 2 or 3 of the disks. I then discovered that a
value pack disk can be used on more than one system disk so I never
called Lotus back.

Anyway this may help with the transferring copy protection also. BTW I
was having problems on Hewlett Packard Vectra 16/s's.

---
Rick Stoen - Iowa State University
Internet: stoen@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
UUCP    : {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!stoen