[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect - two simple questions

FA.CAS@forsythe.stanford.edu (C. A. Smith) (09/06/89)

Given the large number of WordPerfect devotees who have fueled debates in
this group, I hope someone can respond directly to me concerning the
questions below. I am trying to help a (legal) WP 5.0 user more efficiently
use a networked HP Laserjet II. Please no RTFM's. Thank you.

1). Can one redirect printer output to a file using program commands ?

2). Is it possible to get WP to read third party font files and update
    its printer drivers to use them, or is one confined to
    fonts "supported" at time of distribution of the program.

Please reply to casmith@lindy.stanford.edu (lindy also on UUCP)
             or FA.CAS@STANFORD (Bitnet).

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (09/08/89)

In article <4656@lindy.Stanford.EDU> FA.CAS@forsythe.stanford.edu (C. A. Smith) writes:
>Given the large number of WordPerfect devotees who have fueled debates in
>this group, I hope someone can respond directly to me concerning the
>questions below. I am trying to help a (legal) WP 5.0 user more efficiently
>use a networked HP Laserjet II. Please no RTFM's. Thank you.
>
>1). Can one redirect printer output to a file using program commands ?

Answer to part 1)  Yes, sort of.
You can if you only want text and drawn lines.
But it doesn't work if you use imported graphic pictures.

See page 329 in the wp5.0 manual.
Simply a) shift F7
       b) S(elect printer)
       c) E(dit printer)
       d) P(ort select)
       e) O(ther select)
       f) path or filename
       g) F7
       h) F7
       i) print in normal way.
>2). Is it possible to get WP to read third party font files and update
>    its printer drivers to use them, or is one confined to
>    fonts "supported" at time of distribution of the program.

Answer to part 2) It depends on what you mean.
I use Glyphix to create a printer driver with the particular fonts
I need for a particular job.  That printer driver is then available
just like the printer drivers supplied with WP.  See page 502 in the
manual for a start.

-gregory
NAVELEX,SD

--

-gregory  Just my two cents which shouldn't make a flame,
	  unless you rub them real hard.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/08/89)

In article <1632@cod.NOSC.MIL> heflin@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Greg R. Heflin) writes:
>In article <4656@lindy.Stanford.EDU> FA.CAS@forsythe.stanford.edu (C. A. Smith) writes:
[concerning WordPerfect 5.0]
>>1). Can one redirect printer output to a file using program commands ?

>Answer to part 1)  Yes, sort of.
>You can if you only want text and drawn lines.
>But it doesn't work if you use imported graphic pictures.

Well I do it all the time with docs which include graphic pictures.  Perhaps
your problem is that you print with "copy file prn" rather than
"copy /b file prn" and are trashing the graphic information.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (09/12/89)

In article <5897@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>In article <1632@cod.NOSC.MIL> heflin@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Greg R. Heflin) writes:
>>In article <4656@lindy.Stanford.EDU> FA.CAS@forsythe.stanford.edu (C. A. Smith) writes:
>[concerning WordPerfect 5.0]
>>>1). Can one redirect printer output to a file using program commands ?
>
>>Answer to part 1)  Yes, sort of.
>>You can if you only want text and drawn lines.
>>But it doesn't work if you use imported graphic pictures.
>
>Well I do it all the time with docs which include graphic pictures.  Perhaps
>your problem is that you print with "copy file prn" rather than
>"copy /b file prn" and are trashing the graphic information.
>
>Tom Almy
>toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
>Standard Disclaimers Apply

I tried both modifying the printer thru shift-F7,Select,Edit,Port,Filename
then shift-F7 print and I also tried cntrl-F5 text and cntrl-F5 generic

I did a 'copy /b file prn'.

None of them produced graphics.  I'm using a systemizer by Applied Creative
Technology as a print buffer to my HP LaserJet II.
I'm using DOS 3.20.

Could the printer matter?
Or is there something eles one needs to do inside the file?

Gregory Heflin
NAVELEX,SD