[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS VI has bugs!

tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen) (09/12/89)

[I have been beta testing the MKS Toolkit 3.1 and have run across this
 stuff so I thought I'd respond...]

Michael A. Leach <mal@hjuxa.UUCP> writes:
> The version of MKS VI I have has bugs.  The (u)ndo command leaves
> the cursor in very strange positions in the file, usually on a different
> page.  It's such a pain in the neck that the (u)ndo command is useless!
> As I remember the first time you use it it works fine, but if you undo
> a second change, it will put the cursor at the location of the first
> change, as do all subsequent (u)ndos.

The bug is related to the use of the shift-ctrl-^ command.  here's how
to reproduce it:
	vi foo
	[search for some text]
	:vi bar
	shift-ctrl-^
	[move around, make a change, hit 'u']
And presto! you're back at the line you searched for.  To restore undo to
what it _should_ be doing, whenever it starts acting up, enter
	:e!
and the undo will be back to normal.  The bug is known by MKS, and they
have told me that it will be fixed in a future release.

					\tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

Amount taken in the average bank robbery in Canada in 1988:  $  4,000
In the average computer fraud in the same period:            $ 42,000
			-Report on Business Magazine, Sept/89