[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard drives for PS/2 Model 50's?

bob@io.UUCP (Bob Treitman) (09/11/89)

I'm looking for recommendations for internal or external
hard drives for an IBM Model 50 that currently has a 30MB
disk.  I know that I can get a 60MB disk from IBM, but I
have to remove the 30MB to do this, as there's only room
for 1 disk internal.  Merely doubling the capacity is not
an attractive proposition; especially considering that I'll
be putting the 30MB disk on the shelf.

Does anyone have any experience with third-party internal
Model50 drives in the 100+MB range?  What about external
drives for Model 50's?  If you have prices, I'd appreciate
your including them.  THANKS!

troj@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kevin Trojanowski) (09/12/89)

> From: bob@io.UUCP (Bob Treitman)
> Subject: Hard drives for PS/2 Model 50's?
> Date: 11 Sep 89 13:57:49 GMT
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for internal or external
> hard drives for an IBM Model 50 that currently has a 30MB
> disk.  I know that I can get a 60MB disk from IBM, but I
> have to remove the 30MB to do this, as there's only room
> for 1 disk internal.  Merely doubling the capacity is not
> an attractive proposition; especially considering that I'll
> be putting the 30MB disk on the shelf.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with third-party internal
> Model50 drives in the 100+MB range?  What about external
> drives for Model 50's?  If you have prices, I'd appreciate
> your including them.  THANKS!

Having one of the original 50s with only a 20-meg, I've been
engaged in much the same search.  The best I've found thus far (after
extensive scouring of Computer Shopper) is a 65-meg 3rd party drive
for $999.

What I'd like to find is a card to replace the existing controller,
but leave the internal drive where it is, and run a cable out the
back of the computer where a second drive can be attached.  Unfortunately,
this scheme violates IBMs idea of no cables snaking around the innerds of
the PS/2s.

I've also yet to find any hard drive controllers for the PS/2s, including
those which would just allow connection of external drive(s).

-Kevin Trojanowski
 troj@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
 trojpg@uiamvs.bitnet
 trojanowski@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

mm42@prism.gatech.EDU (Mark Mitchell) (09/12/89)

In a preceeding article bob@io.UUCP (Bob Treitman) wrote:
}I'm looking for recommendations for internal or external
}hard drives for an IBM Model 50 that currently has a 30MB
}disk.  I know that I can get a 60MB disk from IBM, but I
}have to remove the 30MB to do this, as there's only room
}for 1 disk internal.

I have a 44 MB internal drive from Core International that has been
quite satisfactory.  They have a kit which allows you to keep your old
drive when you add theirs.  (I have done this with a 20 MB IBM drive, I
assume it works for the 30 MB.)

}Does anyone have any experience with third-party internal
}Model50 drives in the 100+MB range?

I am pleased with my drive from Core.  They make an 80 MB PS/2 replacement -
I think that this is the largest.

--
"I'm a fiddler crab!  Why don't you shoot  | Mark Mitchell  Georgia Tech
 me?  It's fiddler crab season!"           | GTRI/STL/MSD   Atlanta, GA