[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WINDOWS 286 MEMORY SET-UP

ray.baldwin@canremote.uucp (RAY BALDWIN) (09/09/89)

Any advice?

Hi.                       entered: Sept 9/9:10am

I'm having trbl setting up Windows/286 properly.  I can't access
all the system memory as a result.  Specifically, I cannot open
simultaneously Lotus, WordPerfect5 and dBase4 without getting
a message "Not enough memory to run".

I'm using a BEST AVT-10 286, 40meg HD, 640k conventional ram, 3072k
extended ram on Motherboard.

I suspect Windows/286 can't use extended ram like W..386 can;
and when I try using EMS40.SYS as a device in CONFIG.SYS to trick
W..286 into thinking there is 3072k of expanded memory, it seems EMS40
recognizes
only a maximum of 384k.

Any advice?

 * QNet 1.04a1: >> CanConfMail << Shadow RAM BBS Ottawa, CANADA

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (09/13/89)

In article <89091122494430@masnet.uucp>, ray.baldwin@canremote.uucp (RAY BALDWIN) writes:

> I'm having trbl setting up Windows/286 properly.  I can't access
>
> I suspect Windows/286 can't use extended ram like W..386 can;
> and when I try using EMS40.SYS as a device in CONFIG.SYS to trick
> W..286 into thinking there is 3072k of expanded memory, it seems EMS40
> recognizes
> only a maximum of 384k.

You seem to be confusing EXTENDED and EXPANDED memory. You must setup the memory
you want Windows to use as EXPANDED memory. Then your EMS40 driver will
recognize it, and so will Windows. Most memory boards have a dip switch that
toggles between expanded and extended memory. You can even have a mix of them if
you want. (Use the extended memory for HIMEM.SYS to give Windows a bit more
conventional memory).
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983