[comp.sys.ibm.pc] comp.sys.ibm.pc

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (07/12/88)

Ran into an odd little problem today.  I bought a Microsoft Mouse (serial
port version) today.  Plugged it into my NEC Multispeed lap portable, fired
up the mouse driver, and started up Microsoft Word 4.0.

Everything worked ok, but the disk drive kept spinning continuously.  It
continued to spin while I tried out some Word functions.  The disk drive
did not stop spinning until I got out of Word. This does not happen
when the mouse driver is removed.

I tested the mouse with some other software and did not run into this
problem.  The only problematic interaction is Multispeed+Mouse+Word.

Any ideas as to what is going on?  Any other lap portable users experience
the same problem?  I am buying a T1000 later this week to replace my NEC
(for reasons of reduced weight, not because of the problem I discovered
today).  Has anyone had problems using Word, a Microsoft Mouse, and a
T1000?

Thanks...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

dixon@control.steinmetz (walt dixon) (07/13/88)

Typically,  BIOS will not turn the disk motors off right away.
Once the motors come up to speed,  BIOS leaves them running for
a couple of seconds.  BIOS relies on the timer (int 8h on the pc)
to measure this interval.  Possibly the mouse driver is messing
with the timer interrupt.  Look at the current time.  Does it
change?  The BIOS time of day routine runs off the same interrupt
(at least on the pc).  If you're really fealing adventureous,
use debug to check the timer ISR after you load the mouse driver
(d 0:20 l 4 ==> segment:offset of timer isr).  Does it still point
to ROM?  If not,  try disassembling it.  It should be fairly short.
Does it do a far jump or call to ROM?

cga66@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Kauffold) (07/14/88)

In article <2041@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
> Ran into an odd little problem today.  I bought a Microsoft Mouse (serial
> port version) today.  Plugged it into my NEC Multispeed lap portable, fired
> up the mouse driver, and started up Microsoft Word 4.0.
>
> ... disk drive kept spinning continuously ... did not stop spinning until
> I got out of Word. This does not happen when the mouse driver is removed.
>
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
> UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd
> ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL		BITNET: todd@uhccux
> INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU <==I'm told this rarely works

I have had a similar problem with Logitech Mouse and Word 4.0, on MS/DOS 3.2.
There have been other problems with MS MOUSE and WORD 4.0, with PS/2.

Microsoft has sent some kind of fix for the problem to the PS/2 people, but
they told me that "Word 4.0 only works with the MS MOUSE" (on straight PC
clones using MS/DOS).  I have not heard yet from Logitech.

Temporarily, I have disabled the mouse driver and unplugged the device, as
it was really too thrilling to watch your document flip out periodically
when you accidentally moved the mouse.

There seem to be a lot of problems with Word 4.0 and various mouses (mice?);
Microsoft has not been terribly responsive, at least not to my reports
to them of my version of mouse psychosis.

Will Microsoft be "user friendly" and fix the problem for all us 3.2 version
users who upgraded, and who lost the functionality of the mouse?  Or will
they continue to pound smoke ...

Disclaimer: Don't blame me or anyone else.

Pat Kauffold, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/13/89)

In article <254@jwren.UUCP>, jcw@jwren.UUCP (John C. Wren) writes:
> The question I have is, how important is it to wash it before the coffee has
> hardened?  Perhaps if you use a WaterPik, or some kind of pressurizer you
> can get dried coffee off.

  Yes, it is difficult to clean those switches (if the keyboard is
using micro switches) if everything is dried up.

  We use ultra-sonic cleaners.  They are fast and effective if you
can get one.