[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 memory - use as expanded?

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (09/10/89)

My bosses are about to purchase a Intel Inboard 386 with 2 meg on it.
I know that this is extended memory when used for Unix or Xenix.  But
they are going to use this as a DOS machine runnning Ventura.

They are getting 2 meg so Ventura can use they extra memory.  Ventura
needs expanded memory, not extended.  Can the Inboard be configured as
expanded memory instead of extended?

I'm not a DOS guru as you might be able to tell.  I'm just trying to
prevent them from making a mistake.

Thanks

--
Tony Holden
tony@jassys

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (09/12/89)

> From: tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden)
> Date: 10 Sep 89 01:13:37 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>
> My bosses are about to purchase a Intel Inboard 386 with 2
> meg on it.
> I know that this is extended memory when used for Unix or
> Xenix.  But
> they are going to use this as a DOS machine runnning
> Ventura.
>
> They are getting 2 meg so Ventura can use they extra memory.
> Ventura
> needs expanded memory, not extended.  Can the Inboard be
> configured as
> expanded memory instead of extended?
>
> I'm not a DOS guru as you might be able to tell.  I'm just
> trying to
> prevent them from making a mistake.
If the board cannot be configured for expanded memory you can always
use a product like 386Max (from Qualitas) or QEMM (from QuarterDeck)
that uses the address mapping features of the 386 chip to convert
extended memory to look like expanded.  Works very well.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/16/89)

   DOS 4 comes with a couple of drivers that can be used to emulate EMS
with extended memory.  One of them (XMAEMS.SYS, is it?) allows you to use
the memory-mapping capabilities of the 386 to map extended memory into the
conventional 0-1M addressing range, while the other (XMA2EMS.SYS?) performs
the functions requires of an EMS V4.0 driver.

   These two programs work fine on a PS/2 model 80, which is the only machine
I've ever used them on.  I don't want to sound like a rabid Microsoft or
MS-DOS promoter, but if you have DOS version 4, you might as well at least
try these programs since you already have them.

   (BTW, don't bother writing back to me if all you want to do is refresh
my memory on the exact names of the device drivers.  Technical responses are
welcome, however.)

--
Stephen M. Dunn                              cs4g6ag@maccs.McMaster.CA
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";