[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PGIF 0.91

mhampson@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark A. Hampson) (09/13/89)

In article <2439@aecom.yu.edu> werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:

>	I recently acquired a copy of the program PGIF 0.91 which prints
>out GIF files to the HP Paintjet Printer.  In my hands, on a Fountain AT
>attached to the PaintJet through LPT1:, any attempt to print out results
>in an error message something like:
>Error in dither.c: line ___ : cannot open PRN:
                                 .
                                 .
                                 .

I have had the same problems and the only solution that we could come up
with was to have PGIF output to a file and then to use the MS-DOS print
command to send the file to the printer.  The print files are quite large
though 1M+ or so for a reasonable picture.

There was a documentation file of some sort with the copy I have, if you
cannot find it give me a hollar and I will mail it to you.  Okay?

mark

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  Disorder increases with time because, we measure time in the direction    |

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (09/16/89)

I ran into the same problem with PGIF. And I also came to the
conclusion that the only way to make it work was to send the output
to a file. But there's no need to waste RAM by invoking DOS's PRIN
command. Just

copy file prn /b

and it'll work just fine *without* wasting memory with the resident
portion of PRINT.

If anyone wants to try to fix the problem, the source to PGIF is
available on the Compuserve picture support forum. DL8 file: PGSRC.ARC
a bit over 24 k...
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]