[comp.sys.ibm.pc] >more than 15 files open at a time

m_hanft@msn.rmi.de (Matthias Hanft) (09/15/89)

> robak@sluga.UUCP (Ted Robak) writes:
>
> Does anyone know why a Clipper-compiled program does not allow me to
> open more than 15 files at a time? My config.sys is set up for 25
> files, and I'm using DOS 3.30. Clipper states that DOS 3.30 should
> [...]

  I know that problem exactly. You can write into your CONFIG.SYS
  file what you want, DOS will still open only 15 files at once.
  The reason is that in the program environment (I'm not quite sure
  whether it's the correct name for that memory space), there is
  only room for 20 files. 5 are used as standard DOS files (stdin,
  stdout, stderr, and so on), so only 15 files are left to the user.

  You can overcome that problem by using a small self-deleting
  TSR program called FILES3X.COM (for DOS 3.0 to 3.2) or FILES33.COM
  (for DOS 3.3) before you run your own programs. Using FILES3?,
  you can really open up to 99 (minus 5, though) files at once
  (if you have put FILES=99 into your CONFIG.SYS file).

  I cannot remember where I got the files from, and there is no
  copyright notice in them, so I guess I may post the files here
  in some newsgroup. (Hm, comp.binaries.ibm.pc? Seems that they
  won't arrive there... I will also mail, if you like, or put them
  into this newsgroup, or whereever you want.)

  Matthias Hanft (m_hanft@msn.rmi.de)

m_hanft@msn.rmi.de (Matthias Hanft) (09/17/89)

The TSRs for opening more than 15 files were shorter than I thought,
so I'm posting them right here. Remember, you have to run them each
time before you run your application program! (And don't forget to
write FILES=99 into your CONFIG.SYS file and to reboot...)

begin 644 files3x.com
MZ<$``````````(#\2W4)+L8&!P'_Z:<`@/P]=`B`_#QT`^F:`"Z`/@<!`'3U
M+H,^"`$`=.U04U%65QX&+HX&"`$NQP8(`0``M$G-(;L0`+1(S2&.P+1BS2&.
MVQZ+#C(`B]F+-C0`CAXV`#/_\Z2Y``$KRW0$L/_SJA_'!C(```''!C0```",
M!C8`M#6P(<TA@?L*`74BC,",RSO#=1I2+HL6`P$NCAX%`;0EL"'-(5J,R([`
MM$G-(0<?7UY96U@N_RX#`;0PS2&&X#T``W(%/1X#<@FZ*@*T"<TAS2"[O`*Q
M!-/KM$K-(8X&+`"T2<TANQ``M$C-(:,(`;0UL"'-(8D>`P&,!@4!N@H!M"6P
M(<TA@#Z```!U![IR`K0)S2&T,;K3`;$$T^K-(0T*5&AI<R!P<F]G<F%M(&]N