[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Possible DOS Virus

floyd@starsend.UUPC (Floyd Miller) (09/14/89)

An article in the September 11th issue of Info-World warns of a DOS virus
which is supposed to be triggered on Oct. 12 and destroy hard disk track 0.
It is has been called, "Datacrime 89", A.K.A "The Columbus Day Virus",
A.K.A. "The Icelandic Virus."

It is reported to propogate itself by attaching to .COM files (COMMAND.COM
is supoosed to be immune).  The article offers a possible way to determine
if your file system might be infected.

Has anyone discovered this beasty on their system?

*******   *****************************************************
*****  ********************** Floyd Miller ************
***  ********************************************
*  ************ floyd%starsend@PRC.Unisys.com
  ***** starsend!floyd@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.com
***
*

erck12@castle.ed.ac.uk (Gnome) (09/15/89)

In article <0000@starsend.UUPC> floyd@starsend.UUCP writes:
-An article in the September 11th issue of Info-World warns of a DOS virus
-which is supposed to be triggered on Oct. 12 and destroy hard disk track 0.
-It is has been called, "Datacrime 89", A.K.A "The Columbus Day Virus",
-A.K.A. "The Icelandic Virus."

	Could someone post to tell the world how to detect this virus. I think
there is considerable interest!

--

 Geoff Ballinger,                    JANET: Geoff@Ed.Ac.Uk
 CS/AI,                               ARPA: Geoff%Uk.Ac.Ed@nsfnet-relay.Ac.Uk

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (G. Wang) (09/15/89)

In article <0000@starsend.UUPC> floyd@starsend.UUCP writes:
>An article in the September 11th issue of Info-World warns of a DOS virus
>which is supposed to be triggered on Oct. 12 and destroy hard disk track 0.
>It is has been called, "Datacrime 89", A.K.A "The Columbus Day Virus",
>A.K.A. "The Icelandic Virus."
>
>It is reported to propogate itself by attaching to .COM files (COMMAND.COM
>is supoosed to be immune).  The article offers a possible way to determine
>if your file system might be infected.
>
>Has anyone discovered this beasty on their system?

I just want to state promptly that the DATACRIME VIRUS is *NOT*
a large risk in the USA... The comp.virus newsgroups is a very
good newsgroup to read if you are interested in the current
events of viruses... There have been about 40 cases reported in
Europe and only 7 reported cases in the USA... The paranoia
stirred up by recent articles should be freak out the average
user...

Basically the most common virus (as reported by John McAfee,
author of VIRUSCAN) reported in the past 30 days is the
JERUSALEM-B virus... I don't recall the exact percentage break
downs but after that follows 1701/1704 Boot Virus, Ping Pong,
and Cascade... All other viruses compose only about 5% I think
it was...

I highly recommend John McAfee's VIRUSCAN program.. It can be found
on many BBS and also on SIMTEL... The most recent versions can
be found on John's BBS - HomeBase BBS - (408) 988-4004

Hope this helps...

George Wang
University of Illinois
gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (09/15/89)

In item 1646 on vpnet, floyd@starsend.UUPC [Floyd Miller] warns:

> An article in the September 11th issue of Info-World warns of a DOS virus
> which is supposed to be triggered on Oct. 12 and destroy hard disk track 0.
> It is has been called, "Datacrime 89", A.K.A "The Columbus Day Virus",
> A.K.A. "The Icelandic Virus."

    A large group of infected disks which aren't destroyed on the 12th
    might meet their Waterloo on the following day, Friday October
    13th, another popular day for triggering trojan horse programs!

    Sounds like a nice week to go on vacation!

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky   |
|                                                                           |
| Home (312)833-8122  Vpnet (312)833-8126               lisbon@vpnet.uucp   |

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (09/18/89)

In article <0000@starsend.UUPC> floyd@starsend.UUCP writes:
>An article in the September 11th issue of Info-World warns of a DOS virus
>which is supposed to be triggered on Oct. 12 and destroy hard disk track 0.
>It is has been called, "Datacrime 89", A.K.A "The Columbus Day Virus",
>A.K.A. "The Icelandic Virus."

A few corrections:

	1) This virus will NOT attack on Oct. 12. The activation date is
	   Oct. 13.  The relevant part of the virus looks as follows:

		MOV	AX,startdate	; AX = OCT. 12
		CMP	AX,current	; compare to current date
		JL	Destroy		; if Oct 12. < current, format disk
		JMP	Infect		; Else infect program

	   Note that keeping your computer turned off on Oct 13. will not
	   protect you in any way - the virus will format the start of
	   drive C: the first time an infected program is run ANYTIME AFTER
	   OCT. 12.

	2) This virus has NOTHING what so ever to do with the Icelandic
	   virus. That virus has no specific activation date.

	3) This virus exists in two different versions, called "1168"
	   and "1280".

>It is reported to propogate itself by attaching to .COM files (COMMAND.COM
>is supoosed to be immune).

Any .COM file where the seventh letter in the name is "D" is immune.

>Has anyone discovered this beasty on their system?

This virus is VERY rare. In fact, it is almost only known in Europe, and
has only been reported at 50 sites or so. It is NOT a serious threat in the
USA, at least not compared to the other two or three viruses that will
attack on the same date.

Programs to detect/remove this virus (and the other 20 viruses or so) are
available.

See comp.virus for more information on this (and other viruses).
--
         Fridrik Skulason          University of Iceland
         frisk@rhi.hi.is

          Guvf yvar vagragvbanyyl yrsg oynax .................