[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question About 19 Inch Monochrome Monitor

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (09/18/89)

Does anyone know what a WGE card for a Moniterm 19 inch monitor is?  I am
thinking of buying a Moniterm 19 inch monitor for my PC, and I understand
that you can buy a card for this known as a WGE card that increases the
resolution of the monitor from 1280 x 1280 to 1600+ x 1280.  Is this correct,
and does the card do anything else?  (Someone else told me the card is
used for X Windows?)  Is there a MS Windows driver for the
WGE card?  Any minuses to using this card over the one that Moniterm sells
standard with the monitor?

Thanks,
Will

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/18/89)

In article <22252@cup.portal.com>, Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
> Does anyone know what a WGE card for a Moniterm 19 inch monitor is?  I am

The WGE is the Workstation Graphics Engine (aka blit) board produced by
Bell Technologies (now Intel).  It's primary purpose is to work as a
graphics device for xwindows under Unix system V/386 (note that some
versions of the card also include an ethernet device).

> thinking of buying a Moniterm 19 inch monitor for my PC, and I understand
> that you can buy a card for this known as a WGE card that increases the
> resolution of the monitor from 1280 x 1280 to 1600+ x 1280.  Is this correct,

Yup.  I get 1600x1200 or so resolution on a moniterm moniter.

> and does the card do anything else?  (Someone else told me the card is
> used for X Windows?)  Is there a MS Windows driver for the
> WGE card?  Any minuses to using this card over the one that Moniterm sells

As far as I know (and I bought the card about 1 year ago so my information may
be a bit out of date) there are no drivers for ms-windows.

I also own a sigma designs laser view system with about the same resolution
on thier own 19 inch monitor.

I like the SD monitor and the WGE card.  The WGE/moniterm seems to have
alot more flickering than the SD card/monitor.  The performance of the
WGE is much better than the performanc of the SD however, this is using
the driver available from Interactive, not the driver that comes from
Bell Tech, apparently Interactives driver takes better advantage of the
hardware support on the WGE.

I don't know anything about the card/moniter combinations available
directly from moniterm.