[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Booting from 1.44 meg drive

tsaavik@cbnewse.ATT.COM (bobby.j.lang) (09/05/89)

I have a 1.44 meg 3 1/2" floppy drive installed in my XT Clone using
Western Digital's FOX 4 card. My problem is the machine will not boot
from the 1.44 floppy drive. I have Phoenix Bios Ver 2.52 (I think) and
MS-DOS 3.3.

Any suggestions on how to boot from this drive (recognized as b: by the
system) will be greatly appreciated. It is not a major problem but I
would like the info anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Bobby J. Lang
att!ihlpy!vulcan

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/07/89)

In article <893@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, tsaavik@cbnewse.ATT.COM (bobby.j.lang) writes:
 >I have a 1.44 meg 3 1/2" floppy drive installed in my XT Clone using
 >Western Digital's FOX 4 card. My problem is the machine will not boot
 >from the 1.44 floppy drive. I have Phoenix Bios Ver 2.52 (I think) and
 >MS-DOS 3.3.
 >
 >Any suggestions on how to boot from this drive (recognized as b: by the
 >system) will be greatly appreciated. It is not a major problem but I
 >would like the info anyway.

You can't.  Not with your current set-up, at least.  MS-DOS will only
let you boot off the first floppy drive (A:), or from the partition
designated as the boot partition on the hard drive (C:, or whatever).
You *cannot* boot from the second floppy drive, period.

If you want to boot from the 1.44MB drive, you'll have to make the
system recognize it as drive A:, which will mean making the current
drive A: drive B:.

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (09/19/89)

In article <621.25073BBA@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>In article <893@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, tsaavik@cbnewse.ATT.COM (bobby.j.lang) writes:
> >I have a 1.44 meg 3 1/2" floppy drive installed in my XT Clone using
> >Western Digital's FOX 4 card. My problem is the machine will not boot
> >from the 1.44 floppy drive. I have Phoenix Bios Ver 2.52 (I think) and
> >Any suggestions on how to boot from this drive (recognized as b: by the

>You can't.  Not with your current set-up, at least.  MS-DOS will only
>let you boot off the first floppy drive (A:), or from the partition

I don't think it's MSDOS that is the problem, its your BIOS.  Zenith
PC's, which use a Zenith version of MS-DOS and a Zenith BIOS, can boot from
any of the disk drives.  However, this is set by going into the setup
program (in ROM), and choosing the boot device.  Zenith also allows you to
boot only from A:(or B:), only from C:, or to first try A:, then try C:.
The setup ROM is accessed through Ctrl-Alt-Insert, so it is available even
when the PC cannot boot (for example, if the A: drive was the boot drive, but
it is now bad).

Since this is Zenith's own BIOS, I doubt that it is used in any other clones.

Bruce Carlson