[comp.sys.ibm.pc] virtual 8086 in the 386

akcs.khenry@vpnet.UUCP (Ken Henry) (09/18/89)

This may have come up before, but I am new to this group and would like to
get some information about the Intel 80386.  I would like to know the
maximum number of virtual 8086's can be operated on a 80386.  My first guess
was 4 but I was told otherwise, so I'm checking to see what you guys think.
Thanks in advance.

Ken Henry

signature under construction

las) (09/19/89)

In article <[25138e13:1703]comp.sys.ibm.pc@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.khenry@vpnet.UUCP (Ken Henry) writes:
}This may have come up before, but I am new to this group and would like to
}get some information about the Intel 80386.  I would like to know the
}maximum number of virtual 8086's can be operated on a 80386.  My first guess
}was 4 but I was told otherwise, so I'm checking to see what you guys think.

Your question is equivalent to the question "How many separate tasks can
can be operated [sic] on a 80386?"  The answer is an indefinite number
depending on how many your operating system will handle.  I.e., the 386
processor itself does not impose a limit.  Of course, there are practical
limits set by resource availability such as memory and cpu time.  Thus,
if your O.S. is willing to manage, say, 100 virtual 8086 sessions, it can
be done; however, the results may not be very usable.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/19/89)

In article <[25138e13:1703]comp.sys.ibm.pc@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.khenry@vpnet.UUCP (Ken Henry) writes:
>I would like to know the maximum number of virtual 8086's can be operated
>on a 80386.  My first guess was 4 but I was told otherwise, so I'm checking
>to see what you guys think.

The actual answer is "one at a time" but it's entirely a function of your
operating system which is in charge of time-sharing among the various
processes on your machine.  I have run five vp/ix DOS sessions at once on my
386 under Unix and could get 8 easily at which point I run out of Unix
virtual screens.  Unix runs vp/ix in virtual memory, so the total size of
your DOS sessions can exceed the actual amount of memory in your machine.
Desqview and Windows/386 also allow many 8086 sessions, but don't provide
virtual memory, and so are limited by the amount of memory you have.  (At
least they didn't the last time I looked which was a while ago.)

In practice, running a whole lot of DOS sessions at once is of limited
utility.  DOS being a single-user system is totally compute-bound, and with
a lot of DOS sessions your machine becomes very sluggish.  What is quite
useful is to have DOS processes in separate windows but with the inactive
windows frozen, which lets you switch from program to program without losing
what you are doing in one when you use another.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu