[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Power-Base

apollo@bucsb.UUCP (Doug Chan) (09/18/89)

   Has anyone ever heard of a database program called Power-Base?
I received several databases created with that program but I don't
have that the actual database program to read them (and they're
not ASCII text either.)
   Are there any other database programs which will read Power-Base's
format?

--
|  Doug A. Chan        |   apollo@bucsb.bu.edu    |
|  Boston University   |   apollo@buengf.bu.edu   |

bobc@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) (09/19/89)

In article <3278@bucsb.UUCP>, apollo@bucsb.UUCP (Doug Chan) writes:

>    Has anyone ever heard of a database program called Power-Base?
> I received several databases created with that program but I don't
> have that the actual database program to read them (and they're
> not ASCII text either.)
>    Are there any other database programs which will read Power-Base's
> format?

I've used PowerBase for the last year and a half.  I find it easy to use
and pretty friendly.  It has a few things lacking including a language to
apply the data with and the abilty generate multi-line per record reports.
Yeah, it can write reports but each record can only appear on a single line.
It does do sub/grand totalling and counts.

It's a relational database and includes a Zoom feature to allow you to
access other files with the same data.  PC Resource gave it an excellent
rating about a year ago.

Unfortunately, it is not widely used or known.  Therefore I doubt that too
many other programs can access the data.  I would be interested in finding
out what the record structure is.  I might end up writting some external
routines for using the data.

PowerBase maintains multiple files for each database which helps it to
access records that have been indexed (6 is the limit of the fields that
may be indexed in any given database) rather quickly.

If push comes to shove and you can send me a copy (e-mail uuencoded) of all the
files in the application I could possible send you an ASCII file of the data.

Bob
=             I know it's petty..........                                     =
-                  But I have to justify my salary!                           -