[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help, Can't put more than 122 files on 3.5" 720k disk

chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) (09/16/89)

I just ran into what seems to be a restriction on the number of directory
entries allowed on a 3.5" 720k disk.  I tried to put the 123rd file on
the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
getting file creation errors.

I know there is an adjustable limit on
RAMDISKs, but I'm not sure of 3.5" disks.  I can't find anything on it
in any of my DOS manuals.  I am able to copy all 123 files to my 1.2M floppy
though.

Chuck Rissmeyer
NCR Comten
Information Services
chuck@ncrcis.StPaul.NCR.COM    (All standard disclaimers apply)

craigb@hp-sdd.hp.com (Craig Bosworth) (09/16/89)

I don't think you can change the number of entries in the root directory,
but a quick and dirty solution is to put all of the files in a subdirectory.
The number of entries in a subdirectory is limited only by disk space
available.

BOS

--
Craig Bosworth  (619) 592-8609           16399 West Bernardo Drive
Hewlett-Packard, San Diego Division      San Diego, CA  92127-1899

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/16/89)

in article <1512@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) says:

> I just ran into what seems to be a restriction on the number of directory
> entries allowed on a 3.5" 720k disk.  I tried to put the 123rd file on
> the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
> getting file creation errors.

Each type of disk has a default for the number of allowed entries in the
root directory, which is set on the disk at 'format' time.
The simplest thing to do is to make a directory on the diskette, and
put all of your files there.  It should be able to hold as many as
will fit on the disk.
I think the limit for the 1.2/1.44 class is 212.
'fdformat.exe', from Germany (PD), allows different values for /.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/17/89)

In article <1512@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) writes:
$I just ran into what seems to be a restriction on the number of directory
$entries allowed on a 3.5" 720k disk.  I tried to put the 123rd file on
$the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
$getting file creation errors.
$I know there is an adjustable limit on
$RAMDISKs, but I'm not sure of 3.5" disks.  I can't find anything on it
$in any of my DOS manuals.  I am able to copy all 123 files to my 1.2M floppy
$though.

   There may be some formatting programs that allow you to specify the limit
of how many files you can put onto a given disk; if you can't find such a
program, however, you're stuck - IF YOU NEED YOUR FILES IN THE ROOT DIRECTORY,
that is.

   The root directory is limited in size; however, subdirectories are not;
the only limit on the size of a subdirectory is the free space on your disk.
Therefore, if you run out of directory space while there's still free space
available, create a subdirectory (remember that this takes up a directory
entry in the root,so you'll have to remove one of the files first) and put
your files in the subdirectory.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                              cs4g6ag@maccs.McMaster.CA
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (09/18/89)

From article <1512@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, by chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer):

> I just ran into what seems to be a restriction on the number of directory
> entries allowed on a 3.5" 720k disk.  I tried to put the 123rd file on
> the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
> getting file creation errors.
>

> Chuck Rissmeyer
> NCR Comten
> Information Services
> chuck@ncrcis.StPaul.NCR.COM    (All standard disclaimers apply)

I have seen this problem before. There is a limit on how much can be in the
ROOT directory of the disk. make a subdirectory, and copy all of the files
there. That should solve your problem.

Duane L. Rezac

--
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of my place|

las) (09/19/89)

In article <1512@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) writes:

}I just ran into what seems to be a restriction on the number of directory
}entries allowed on a 3.5" 720k disk.  I tried to put the 123rd file on
}the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
}getting file creation errors.

The root directory on dos disks is a fixed size.  Sub-directories, on
the other hand, may grow - though if you put a lot of files in one,
access is sssssllllllooooooowwwwwww.  The difference is that the root
directory is a fixed area on the disk whereas sub-directories are
files.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

dherity@cs.tcd.ie (Dominic Herity) (09/19/89)

In article <1512@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) writes:
> ...  I tried to put the 123rd file on
>the disk, and although there was enough storage space available, I kept
>getting file creation errors.

All floppies (and hard disks) have a *fixed* number of sectors assigned
to the root directory. As you say, this can be modified on a RAMdisk,
but I don't know about floppies or hard disks. In any case, this restriction only
applies to the *root* directory. You can get around it by creating a single directory
on the floppy ("md a:\many") and putting your files into that (copy *.* a:\many).