[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Quicken 2.0 Vs 3.0.

hari@soleil.UUCP (Srihari Kotcherlakota) (08/11/89)

About two months ago there was a discussion about personal finance software
and Quicken was discussed. I have been using Quicken 2.0 for 4 months now.
I know that Quicken 3.0 is now available. The toll free number is always
busy when I try to call Intuit. Does any one know the differences between
Quicken 2.0 and 3.0? Please e-mail your response and let me know if you
are interested in a summary.

Thanks.

Please reply to uunet!rutgers!soleil!hari

SriHARI Kotcherlakota
Harris Semiconductor
724 Route 202
PO Box 591
Somerville, NJ 08876-0591

Phone: (201)685-6938

hari@soleil.UUCP (Srihari Kotcherlakota) (09/20/89)

The following was my posting around Aug 20,89:

>About two months ago there was a discussion about personal finance software
>and Quicken was discussed. I have been using Quicken 2.0 for 4 months now.
>I know that Quicken 3.0 is now available. The toll free number is always
>busy when I try to call Intuit. Does any one know the differences between
>Quicken 2.0 and 3.0? Please e-mail your response and let me know if you
>are interested in a summary.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Please reply to uunet!rutgers!soleil!hari

Thank you for you responses. I upgraded to Quicken 3.0 for $8. Intuit charges
$8 for upgrade if you have the original receipt and a blue coupon on the back
of the Quicken 2.0 manual ONLY if you bought Quicken 2.0 after June 1, 89.
Else they will charge you $30.

The significant features of Quicken 3.0 are:

1. Account Groups:

   Permits groups of Accounts and therefore permits transfers between accounts
   and also gives either a consolidated or individual reports and budgets. I
   really wanted this feature.

2. Permits sub-categories.

3. More styles of printing checks and better laser printer support. I use
   Quicken only as a cash register.

4. Credit card account is new.

5. A Pop-up calculator.

Since I acquired Quicken 3.0 only couple of days ago I did not check all
the other features. Please do NOT reply because I will be relocating to
San Jose. Don't know how soon I will be on the network again.

Here are some of the responses:

---- CUT HERE ----- ------ ------ ---- --- -------- ------ ---------

RESPONSE 1>

	I was a beta tester for Quicken 3.0.  I had never used
Quicken before, but these are some differences which I noticed from
the old manual.

1.	In addition to categories and subcategories, we have classes
available as well.  In addition to top-down partitioning of each
entry in categories, we can partition horizontally as well with classes.
For example, a landlord can define a class for each apartment unit, and
a class for maintenance costs across all the units.

2.  Credit card account has a couple of extra features.

3.  Using the import facility, you can record information from electronic
banking services directly into Quicken.

4.  Ability to handle multiple account groups.

If you have further questions, I know one of the programmers for
Quicken.  Feel free to ask.

-harry
bims@isl.stanford.edu

RESPONSE 2>

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out.

I had the bad luck to purchase Quicken 2.0 about two weeks before 3.0
hit the shelves.  I wrote to Intuit asking if they would consider selling
me a reduced-price upgrade to 3.0, but have had no response.  Sigh.

Anyway, *please* pass along what you find out!

Thanks,

Bob Weissman
Domainish: bob@omni.com
UUCPish:   ...!{amdahl,apple,pyramid,sgi,tekbspa,uunet}!koosh!bob

RESPONSE 3>

As a Quicken 2.0 user, you should recive the update info from Intuit.
I recieved mine, perused and was so unimpressed by the changes that
I can't remember them. By the way, I love 2.0.

RESPONSE 4>

From: rutgers!omni.com!bob (Bob Weissman)

I went ahead and upgraded to 3.0.  Turns out it was an $8 upgrade,
which is practically free.

Version 3.0 is WAY BETTER than 2.0.

Call Intuit Customer Service and get them to upgrade you.

-- Bob