[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Networking PCs, Macs, and Unix - what software?

korfhage@kona.cs.ucla.edu (09/19/89)

I need to have IBM PC XTs, Macintoshes, and Unix machines cooperating on
the same ethernet. I know about the mac and unix side of things, but I've
been out of the PC field for a while and would appreciate pointers to
software that would allow that XTs to do:

use the unix machine as a file server (NFS)
email via the unix machine
run X Windows
share a printer that may be hung off a unix machine or on an appletalk
   network (if the later, we would have some sort of ethernet-appletalk bridge).

Any references you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I hate to ask what is probably beginner's question #412, but what
is the best way to get around the crippling 640K memory limit in DOS?
Can Xts run OS/2, or do you need an AT?

Thanks much for any help. If you email me, korfhage@polycatt.poly.edu
will work, in addition to the ucla address.

 Willard Korfhage   ARPA : korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
		    UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage
"Castro Kicks Vanna Habit: Tough-talking tyrant vows he'll never watch
'Wheel of Fortune' again!" - Weekly World News

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (09/20/89)

In article <27212@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, korfhage@kona.cs.ucla.edu writes:
> ...(I need) software that would allow that XTs to do:
>
> use the unix machine as a file server (NFS)
> email via the unix machine
> run X Windows
> share a printer that may be hung off a unix machine or on an appletalk
>    network (if the later, we would have some sort of ethernet-appletalk bridge).

I know of 3 DOS NFS client implementations: Sun's PC/NFS, our Interdrive (an
add-on to our PC/TCP package) and Beame & Whiteside's (which I think is also
re-sold by Excelan).

Both PC/NFS and PC/TCP include mail functionality: Sun's uses POP to retrieve
mail from a central server, we provide an SMTP server.  Both include SMTP
clients to send mail, and mail readers.

I know of 3 DOS X-windows servers also: Locus Computing's PC/Xsight (which is
re-sold by IBM, among others), Graphic Software System's (which runs on top
of our PC/TCP kernel) and HP's AX/DS (also runs on our kernel).

PC/NFS provides print redirection, but the protocol they use to send the
files is one they developed.  We provide a DOS version of the Unix "lpr"
command.  Either works fine to a Unix box, both wuill require some
intermediate code to reach an Appletalk network.
--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) (09/20/89)

In article <27212@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU (Willard Korfhage) writes:
>I need to have IBM PC XTs, Macintoshes, and Unix machines cooperating on
>the same ethernet.

Try TOPS from Sun Microsystems.  It features full peer to peer file sharing
on Suns, MACs, and PCs.  It also does printer sharing.

I am obviously biased, but it deserves a look anyway.

bruce@tolerant.UUCP (Bruce Hochuli) (09/22/89)

:
:Try TOPS from Sun Microsystems.  It features full peer to peer file sharing
:on Suns, MACs, and PCs.  It also does printer sharing.
:
:I am obviously biased, but it deserves a look anyway.

I am not biased. The last time I checked (about 14 months ago), TOPS
would only play with Sun UNIX and did not even want to know about
XENIX. One hopes that this is old information.