[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Vbrowse.exe from TurboPower, how do I find these folks?

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/21/89)

I have a copy of vbrowse.exe from TurboPower Software ver. 4.04
It is perfect for my purpose, except for the fact that line length is
limited to 128 characters.  I need at least 132 characters.  This
program allows you to examine a file, scrolling vertically AND
horizontally AND to print selected blocks of lines to the printer.
Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with TurboPower Software, or
point me to another file browser that can fill the bill?

By the way, I imagine this software was pirated at some time, but was
here when I got the job.  I am willing to purchase a tool that will do
the job.

James Everett Ward		f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
			*** NEWSFLASH ***
Russian tanks steamrolling through New Jersey!!!!  Details at eleven!

maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Richard Maine) (09/22/89)

In article <5639@decvax.dec.com> f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:

>  I have a copy of vbrowse.exe from TurboPower Software ver. 4.04

I don't have the address or number for Turbo Power Software handy here
(It's at home, I'm not).  But I can recommend buying the product
through "The Programmer's Connection".  I have had good experiences
with them.  They'll charge a bit less than if you buy direct from
Turbo Power Software, who will sell direct but at list price.
Call The Programmer's Connection at (800) 336-1166.  They take
phone orders.  Or write them at
  Programmer's Connection
  Order Processing Dept.
  7249 Whipple Ave NW
  North Canton, Oh 44720
The product you want is "Turbo Professional 5.0", which they sell
for $99 (list is $125).  It does require a Pascal Compiler.  Preferably
Borland Turbo Pascal 4.0 or greater, though the blurbs claim it also
works with MicroSoft Quick Pascal.

Just about any of the other programming software distributors will
also have the product.  The Programmer's Connection just happens
to be my favorite.

>  By the way, I imagine this software was pirated at some time, but was
>  here when I got the job.  I am willing to purchase a tool that will do
>  the job.

You are undoubtedly right.  It is a commercial, copyrighted product.
I wholeheartedly recommend buying an honest copy.  Turbo Power Software
sells reasonably good stuff at reasonable prices.  Their stuff
all includes source code, no funny copy protection, and they give
good support.  Please don't discourage "good guys" by ripping them
off.  There are plenty of software vendors out there that seem to
have an attitude that the customer is an adversary whose sole role
is to supply money and that actually supplying the customer with
a useful product for said money is a side issue that they would
be much happier ignoring.

>  point me to another file browser that can fill the bill?

By the way, another browser that I like is Vernon Buerg's
List.  I'm not sure if it's been posted on the net or not,
though I've seen it on lots of bulletin boards.  It is
shareware; I think he asks about $15 or so for it.  No source
code available, if I recall correctly.
--

Richard Maine
maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov [130.134.1.1]

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/22/89)

In article <MAINE.89Sep21104300@altair.dfrf.nasa.gov>, maine@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Richard Maine) writes:
> By the way, another browser that I like is Vernon Buerg's
> List.

I downloaded list yesterday and it's well suited to the task!  Thanks
for all the help!
------------------------James Everett Ward----------------f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
Grelb's Reminder:
--------Eighty percent of all people consider themselves to be above