[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Difference between old & new ST-225 drives?

dlo@idacom.cs.ubc.ca (Dennis Lo) (09/20/89)

Does anyone know what the difference is between the new Seagate ST-225
drives (with the green LED) and the old ones (with the red LED) ?
I've got one of the green ones and am wondering how much life I can
expect from it.  There have been many ST-225 horror stories posted in
the past, and I'm wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with the
newer versions.

Please e-mail me if you can, and I'll post a summary.

---
Dennis Lo
dlo@idacom.cs.ubc.ca  or  dlo@ubc-idacom.cs.ubc.ca

In article <5017@ubc-cs.UUCP>, dlo@idacom.cs.ubc.ca (Dennis Lo) writes:

|  I've got one of the green ones and am wondering how much life I can
|  expect from it.

Published MTBF is 100000 hours.
that the world is flat!" - anon

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/22/89)

In article <426@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <5017@ubc-cs.UUCP>, dlo@idacom.cs.ubc.ca (Dennis Lo) writes:

>|  I've got one of the green ones and am wondering how much life I can
>|  expect from it.

>Published MTBF is 100000 hours.

Are you sure? That works out to 11.4 years of 24 hour/day operation, or
50 years of normal business days! You probably mean 10,000 hours, for a five
year life.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

In article <5979@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
|  In article <426@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|
|  >Published MTBF is 100000 hours.
|
|  Are you sure? That works out to 11.4 years of 24 hour/day operation, or
|  50 years of normal business days! You probably mean 10,000 hours, for a five
|  year life.

Seagate mentioned that the MTBF on the new model went from 50000 to
100000 hours, and the 4096 series from 40000 to 50000 hours. I have no
way of verifying that the figures from Seagate are correct, but the
figures I quoted are indeed the ones which Seagate provided.
that the world is flat!" - anon