[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80386 BIOS REPOST

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (09/21/89)

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 89 02:18:54 -0500
From: nghiem (Alex Nghiem)
To: catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Gateway 2000 386 20mhz Windows 386 BIOS
Cc: nghiem

Here's an UPDATED brief summary. Please feel free to repost it for me. (Send
me a copy when you do.)

1. AMI BIOS (American Megatrends International)--Most of the 386
machines that PC Magazine has given editor's
choice had this bios. Everex systems bios is derived from the AMI
bios as well (Everex markets ENIX.)
Seems that AMI bios works for most everybody. HOWEVER,
I received one bug report of the Western Digital WA2 controller sending
the ABORT, RETRY, IGNORE message to DOS when running Windows with this
bios. Retry resumes normal operation. There has been no specific report
of bios shadowing problems with this bios. However, it is known that
some video cards do not work with bios shadowing. Also, with many boards
that have AMI bios, disabling the shadow bios does not free up extended
memory for use with VDISK.SYS or any other Lotus, Intel, Microsoft extended
memory application. This seems to be a flaw in a version of the CHIPS and
TECHNOLOGIES NEW EXTENDED AT (NEAT) chip set rather that a flaw in the AMI
BIOS. Very few people who use Xenix/Unix indicated that they use this
BIOS. Boards with AMI BIOS tend to sell for much less that boards with Phoenix
BIOS.

2. Phoenix BIOS-- Most of the reports I got said that this bios could
run everything: Windows, Os/2, Unix, Xenix, etc. The favorite board
of the Unix users who responded are Micronics 386 Boards with
Phoenix BIOS. However, got reports of problems with shadow
bios and networking. Two boards with Phoenix bios had
known problems: Early revisons of the Mylex 25Mhz 386 would not run Xenix and
apparently ENIX (Everex's SCO?) would not run on Micronics 25Mhz.
PC Magazine gave editors choice to a Tandy machine with a customized Phoenix
BIOS. Dell computers uses a customized Phoenix BIOS also. Wholesale
Direct (See Computer Shopper) advertises that Phoenix has full Novell Netware
compatibility.

[Saw a report on
CNN that  Micronics, a company that manufactures switches for the Air Force
was going out of business because of investigations into supplying substandard
switches to USAF. Any relation? Anybody know?]

3. Award BIOS (Related to Quadtel BIOS) Got one report that installing
Award or Quadtel Bioses solves networking problems. However, Award version
2 does not run Windows. Award version 3 does run windows, but it seems
some people do not trust it. Compuadd machines use Award BIOS, but have
mediocre test scores. Hauppage Computer Works also uses Award BIOS. Their
boards are considered expensive, but are also considered real reliable.
None of the 80386 machines that PC-Magazine gave editor's choice to
had an Award BIOS.

Note that all these manufacturers advertise complete compatiblity.
What they claim and what actually happens are two different things.

Send Comments to

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!walt!nghiem.

The original posting was sent several months ago. But it seems that
messages tend to bounce around a lot. This message was posted
September 19, 1989.

Thanks to all who responded.

Alex Nghiem
University of Texas.

slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Philip Lin) (09/23/89)

In article <18672@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>[Saw a report on
>CNN that  Micronics, a company that manufactures switches for the Air Force
>was going out of business because of investigations into supplying substandard
>switches to USAF. Any relation? Anybody know?]

Not true.  Micronics manufactures only 386 based motherboards and memory cards.
It is possible, however, that there may be another company by the same name
that is going out of business.  But I know for a fact that Sunnyvale based
Micronics is alive and doing very well.  When I last checked, I heard that
Micronics had moved up to become one of the top 5 or 6 OEM manufacturers of
386 boards.  The other top 3 or so were Compaq, IBM, and Zenith.  I can't
remember the fourth one, but the other biggies like Tandy were further down.