[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 Machine query

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (09/12/89)

	Hi,

	I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a company
	called 47st. Photo located in New York City.  I've heard some
	good things about them but would like more opinions.  I'm
	looking at a Maxum 3125D 25mhz 80386 machine with 4mb ram
	1.2 & 1.44 floppy 100mb hard drive (25ms) for $3995.00.  Does
	anyone own one?

	Also has anyone had any experience with "ENIX" Unix SysV 3.2
	put out by Everex?

	Thanks
	Jeff
--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

markc@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark B. Cohen) (09/12/89)

In article <3285@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> Jeff Holmes writes:
>	I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a company
>	called 47st. Photo located in New York City.

I've been shopping at 47th Street for many years now, both in person
and by mail order.

They have a huge selection of high-tech (and low-tech) items at very
reasonable prices.  Comparison shopping is still worth checking
into:  A good sale somewhere else *can* beat them, and they don't
have the "We'll beat any price or the difference back" deals.

The quality of their products ranges from excellent to very good.  The
distinction is based on whether you choose to pay for a true name
brand or not.  For example, they carry a true Hayes modem, as well as
their "store brand" Hayes-compatible.

They also maintain their products quite well.   A few years back I had a
modem fry on me (I was naive and didn't believe in phone line surge
protectors) - although they were helpful they weren't able to give me
any documentation or manufacturer's info on that brand X card.  I didn't
have the time mail it to them either - I ended up buying a new modem.
[A friend was able to fix the old one a few months later....]
On the other hand, my father recently bought an Epson laptop PC which
had a defective battery - it was running down after about 20 minutes, even
with a full charge.  He brought the PC in to the store (he still lives
in NYC) and they replaced not the battery pack, but the whole unit.

I would not hesitate to recommend them for purchases - but don't forget
to comparison shop!  If you choose to order by phone, leave a time
slot open for yourself.  On Sundays it can take a while to even get
past a busy signal.  At least it's a toll-free number.

Tips for people who can go in person:  Don't go to the store expecting
to browse - they're almost always mobbed.  Get your information at other
stores, then once you know what you want, go in and get it.  Also, 47th
Street is offering a free hour at the Hippodrome garage for SUNDAY shoppers
only.  (With any purchase, etc. etc.)  They're closed on Saturdays, BTW.
Those people outside of the NYC metro area - that's at least a $10 value.

Disclaimer:  I'm only a satisfied customer.
Minor flame:  It's not their fault the system I bought there came from a
	      company that first changed OEMs and then went chapter 11.
	      [Leading Edge, the old M-H series.]  Grumble, grumble.
	      (Does anyone else have one of these tanks?  Are you keeping
	      your garage in it?  ;-)

Best of luck in your purchases,
Mark
--
Internet:  markc@wpi.wpi.edu                         "This is drugs...
UUCP:      {backbone}!husc6!m2c!wpi!markc             this is your brain...

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/14/89)

>> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a company
>> called 47st. Photo located in New York City.
>
>I've been shopping at 47th Street for many years now, both in person
>and by mail order.
   <high praise deleted>

I've had similar good experiences with them.  While you can beat their
prices occasionally, theirs is the price I use to benchmark against.

Bill Kuykendall
...ddsw1!point!wek

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/15/89)

In article <3285@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG>, jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:

> 	I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a company
> 	called 47st. Photo located in New York City.  I've heard some

A couple of years ago I purchased my darkroom equipment from these
folks (enlarger, color analyser, and the works) and had no problems.
They have been in business for years - and if you pay for your products
using plastic you are protected.  Make sure you know what their "handling
charge" is in advance - as some of these places charge several times the
going rate to make up for their discounted prices.

> 	Also has anyone had any experience with "ENIX" Unix SysV 3.2
> 	put out by Everex?

Ask about ENIX in the comp.unix conferences - ENIX does offer a good value
for the price - but still contains some things that need working out.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8

gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) (09/16/89)

  My VCR came from 47th Street Photo.  It took them three tries and over
three months to get me one that worked.  Their customer service people
gave me little service (I felt as if they were being clocked as to the
time spent servicing the phone call, and my call was too long).  I could
never get through on their "toll free" customer service number (it was
always busy).  I finally had to threaten to take my complaints to the
Kansas Attorney General's office in order to get their attention enough
to send me a working VCR.
  Their computer division may be better.  However, they have only one
set of customer service numbers in their catalog, so don't expect great
things if your computer doesn't work "out of the box."

Disclaimer:  K-State takes no responcibility for me.  I have no affiliation
with 47th (and I plan to keep it that way from now on!!!).

- Dwight -
--
Dwight W. Gordon         |   913-532-5600    |   gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department |     dwgordon@ksuvm.bitnet

dhesi@sun505.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/24/89)

In article <813@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.UUCP (Dwight Gordon) makes
this optimistic comment about 47th Street Photo:
>  Their computer division may be better.

Doubtful...I once asked them about laser printers.  The salesman
candidly confessed that his company knew little about laser printers or
computers and advised me to go elsewhere.

I think 47th Street Photo might be best for cameras and off-the-shelf
software.  The company advertises heavily in lay publications (such as
the New York Times, when I last looked), which should tell you that
it's looking mostly for nontechnical customers.

However, when I once asked some technical questions about a camera that
the company was heavily promoting in its ads, neither the salesperson
nor the technical support person could answer them.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi