[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Humorous bug in Sprint

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (09/19/89)

I just upgraded to Sprint 1.01 and discovered a small "glitch"
in their file conversion utility.  I was translating a sprint
file to Wordstar and at the end of the file translation I was
greeted with a run-time error message:

	Run time error R6001
	- null pointer assignment

My file translated fine, but this error message had me wondering,
"Why is a Borland product returning a Microsoft error number?" I
looked up R6001 in the MSC book and sure enough its "null pointer
assignment".  Since Turbo C's null pointer message returns no error
code I must assume that Sprint was, in reality, compiled with
Microsoft C.  But, it seems funny that Borland would use their
arch-rival's compiler on one of their own products.  Why not use
Turbo C?

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (09/19/89)

Re: Humorous message in Sprint

Have you run the Sprint code through a "strings" program (a unix filter)
to see if the Borland product has copyright notices for the Microsoft
library that must have been linked in to produce the message you reported?

Please report your result.  Would be most interesting if true.

Devin_E_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com (09/20/89)

> I must assume that Sprint was, in reality, compiled with
> Microsoft C.  But, it seems funny that Borland would use their
> arch-rival's compiler on one of their own products.  Why not use
> Turbo C?
>
> jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm
> James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist       TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129

   Sprint was originally a w.p. called FinalWord II developed and sold
by Mark of the Unicorn.  It was acquired and "Borlandized" at about
the same that Wizard C was acquired and Borlandized into Turbo C.
Presumably, the original product was developed with MSC.  I suspect
that there are third-party libraries and/or significant chunks of
assembler or less-than-portable C that make switching to TC a
significant chore.
   Most of the Sprint editor and shell were [re-]written by Borland
after the acquisition while most of the formatting, printer driving,
and file conversion programs were simply polished and extended.  It's
not all that supprising that the sprint development team is still
using MSC to make many of the older cof sprint.  I wouldn't
even be suprised if they're using MSC for the whole system -- the
engineering team was originally Borland "outsiders" and until the
more recent VROOMM and other internal Borland technology, there was
no compelling reason to switch to T previous development
tools other than compile speed and corporate political correctness.

Devin_Ben-Hur@Cup.Portal.Com
...ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!devin_ben-hur

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/20/89)

From article <21911@hodge.UUCP>, by jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm):

> Microsoft C.  But, it seems funny that Borland would use their
> arch-rival's compiler on one of their own products.  Why not use
> Turbo C?

  I believe Borland bought the Sprint software from another company.

  ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (09/20/89)

In article <21911@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:

[stuff about Sprint "glitch"]

>	Run time error R6001
>	- null pointer assignment

[stuff about MS-C in Borlands product deleted]

Try use 'strings' on the sprint files.  I tried that once just for fun, and
guess what.
I found a lot of places where Microsoft C was used to compile.
Surprise, surprise.  Borland using a 'C' compiler from their main competitor.

What is happening in the software industrie, are there any *unknown*
friendsship???

--
To quote Alfred E. Neuman: "What! Me worry????"   ||||   Pobody is Nerfect !!!

Internet:	einari@rhi.hi.is
UUCP:		..!mcvax!hafro!rhi!einari

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/21/89)

In article <22297@cup.portal.com> Devin_E_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com writes:
>> I must assume that Sprint was, in reality, compiled with
>> Microsoft C.
>   Sprint was originally a w.p. called FinalWord II developed and sold
>by Mark of the Unicorn.  It was acquired and "Borlandized" at about
>the same that Wizard C was acquired and Borlandized into Turbo C.
>Presumably, the original product was developed with MSC.

I already replied to the original poster, but since there was a reply
here, lets get the history complete.  While Sprint came from FinalWord,
it was *originally* the Mince/Scribble combination for CP/M.  And was
written in BDS C.  Mince (Mince Is Not Completely Emacs) and Scribble
(a scribe clone) were sold separately. I have Mince, and still occasionally
use it. It was available bundled with the compiler and partial sources. You
could configure it by modifying the sources and recompiling. An amazing
product for the time.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (09/21/89)

I thought this quote from the box my version of TurboC came
in would be enlightening:

"... Turbo C meets your every programming need.
We wrote out best-selling word processor Sprint(R) with
Turbo C; now you can write your best-seller with
Turbo C 2.0."

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (09/23/89)

I don't have Sprint, but I'd be willing to make a small bet that Borland didn't
write the conversion utility. By any chance is the main conversion utility file
called CONVERT.EXE? If so, I bet that they're using Star Exchange, just like
WordStar and some other companies do.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (09/24/89)

In article <-286529985@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:

> Have you run the Sprint code through a "strings" program (a unix filter)
> to see if the Borland product has copyright notices for the Microsoft
> library that must have been linked in to produce the message you reported?
>
> Please report your result.  Would be most interesting if true.

	Oh yes.  I've already done that.  It seems 9 of the 12 .EXE files
	in Sprint V1.01 contain the Microsoft run-time library copyright
	notice.  I guess the orginal editors they bought was written in
	MSC and there was no reason to spend the money to convert it over
	to Turbo C.