[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Rll: Miniscribe, Maxtor, Micropolis drives; SCSI: Seagate controller

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (09/26/89)

In article <12376@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>                           ...we had a lot of problem with the combination
>of WD1006V/SR2 and Miniscribe 8450 (40MB RLL, 771 Cyl. 4hd.).  Does anyone
>encounter this problem?

I no longer specify Miniscribe drives for anyone here because of the
problems we had with the 3053 half-height, 42 Megabyte (MFM) drives and
the Adaptec 2372B RLL controllers.  We had the same "increasing-loss-of-
sectors-as-time-goes-by" problem that you're having with the 8540.

Maxtor and Micropolis have always worked with the Adaptec controller,
even though not specified for RLL.

I tried a Seagate SCSI controller card (the ST-02 ?) once; it sits in the
drawer because it's too slow.

kEITHe