[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Postscript generating drawing program

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (09/18/89)

Our system has just been changed to a postscript printer.  Is
there a 'Freelance' like (or better) drawing program that
generates postscript output for the PC line??  Thanks

Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

glen@sunscreen.UUCP (Glen Ivey) (09/19/89)

    While I lived in L.A., I shared an appartment with the technical
writer at out company.  While I was there, they switched from using
Freelance to using a program called Micrographx Designer.  Now, as I
didn't use it (much) myself, I can't say anything first hand.
However, it produces encapsulated Postscript output (translation,
append a ^D to the file before printing), uses a very Mac-like
interface (it comes w/ the runtime MS-Windows package), and was
generally well received by everyone in the company.  The only really
specific complaint I heard was that, while it was easier to use and
more powerful than Freelance, it was a newer program and still had a
few minor bugs.  Of course, that was a year ago now, and things may
have changed.

Glen Ivey        {ames,uunet,amdahl}!oliveb!cirrusl!glen
Cirrus Logic     glen%cirrusl%oliveb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
--Not only are my opinions not necessarily my companies, they aren't
always mine either.

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (09/21/89)

In article <3140@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:
>Our system has just been changed to a postscript printer.  Is
>there a 'Freelance' like (or better) drawing program that
>generates postscript output for the PC line??  Thanks

Microsoft Windows has the ability to install printers as Postscript
printers.  I had been using MicroGrafX' In-A-Vision program for
doing my drawings, when we switched from a Laserjet+ to a Postscript
printer.  All I had to do was define the new printer as [the right
brand of] Postscript printer, and it worked right away.  I suspect
that any true Windows application would behave similarly.

I did notice that the output files were bigger than with the Laserjet,
but that goes with the printer, not the drawing program.  (Unless,
of course, the program is smart enough to use fonts built into the
printer instead of drawing characters with pixels.  And that comment
assumes that a good percentage of the pixels in each drawing come
from text on the drawing -- true in my stuff but maybe not in yours.)

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) (09/26/89)

In article <4104@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>In article <3140@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:
>>Our system has just been changed to a postscript printer.  Is
>>there a 'Freelance' like (or better) drawing program that
>>generates postscript output for the PC line??  Thanks
>
>Microsoft Windows has the ability to install printers as Postscript
>printers.  I had been using MicroGrafX' In-A-Vision program for

MicroGrafX Designer is, I think, a revamped In*A*Vision.  There is also
Graph Plus for graph presentation, and Draw for basic drawings.

I've used Designer off and on.  Pretty good package.

Brian

--
Brian Reese                           uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!brianr
Physio Control Corp., Redmond, Wa.                         brianr@phred.UUCP