[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can any other program read DOS backups?

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (09/25/89)

If this question has come up before, please forgive the intrusion, but
a customer of mine has had some problems with DOS's BACKUP program.
While we already switched them to another program, they would still
like (and desperately need) to read a couple of their old disks. Is
such a thing available or does anybody know how to restore from the
middle of a backup sequence.

(Hey, I'm a *nix person. I don't normally have to deal "little"
machines :-)

jb@aablue
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb

Sometimes they do let me speak for the company, not today though.

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/27/89)

In article <605@aablue.UUCP>, jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
> If this question has come up before, please forgive the intrusion, but
> a customer of mine has had some problems with DOS's BACKUP program.
> While we already switched them to another program, they would still
> like (and desperately need) to read a couple of their old disks. Is
> such a thing available or does anybody know how to restore from the
> middle of a backup sequence.

DOS Backup and Restore are severely brain-damaged in a large
number of very subtle ways.  The only serious attempt to address
this problem is a restore program which was written by Roedy
Green of Canadian Mind Products.  I don't have details or an
address/phone number handy, but I'll dig them out tonight and
post them.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"I have plenty of good sense.  I just choose to ignore it."
-Calvin