[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Converting CP/M files to MS-DOS

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (09/14/89)

Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need
this info, I can't find it. :-(  If someone could drop me a line with a
name and telephone number of a company which sells products like this,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brendan
--
Brendan B. Boerner		Phone: 512/471-3241
Microcomputer Technologies	The University of Texas @ Austin

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (09/15/89)

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:

>Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
>software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need
>this info, I can't find it. :-(  If someone could drop me a line with a
>name and telephone number of a company which sells products like this,
>I'd greatly appreciate it.

;-);-)Please read this with lots of smileys (even though it is real);-);-)

Digital Research, Inc ("Gee, I remember those guys...") has a product
called Concurrent DOS [386/XM] which is based on Concurrent CP/M which
is based on CP/M which is based on a class project resembling a PDP-11
OS..., But I digress (and probably perpetuate the rumor)...;-)

Concurrent DOS, due to this history, maintains the ability to read and
write CP/M formatted floppies and harddisks (some).  The floppy sizes
are assumed to be 5.25" not 8".  At this point in the game, the CP/M
file system is no longer an integral part of the product, but it is
maintained for all those people (like you) who still have CP/M media
and wish to still read (and in some cases still write) to this media
format.

Bottom line is that with Concurrent, you get 4 virtual consoles
capable of running up to (I believe) 251 tasks w/out consoles + 4
tasks w/consoles.  This may be overkill for what you want to do, but
maybe it solves other problems you are having?  Feel free to respond
via email (posts to this group are semi-reliable w/regard to a
response).

--
Frotz ;-)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (09/15/89)

>Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
>software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need
>this info, I can't find it. :-(  If someone could drop me a line with a
>name and telephone number of a company which sells products like this,
>I'd greatly appreciate it.

The Programmer's Catalog (800) 421-8006 lists 3 programs that
do conversion between CPM and MSDOS. They are

   Convert $64
   Media Master $60
   Uniform $65.

I have no experience with this company. I have used Media Master
to do this type of work and it barely works.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Sillicon Valley
       dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

bryan@stiatl.UUCP (Bryan Donaldson) (09/16/89)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) responded to this article:

>>Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
>>software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need
>>this info, I can't find it. :-(  If someone could drop me a line with a
>>name and telephone number of a company which sells products like this,
>>I'd greatly appreciate it.

>The Programmer's Catalog (800) 421-8006 lists 3 programs that
>do conversion between CPM and MSDOS. They are
>   Uniform $65.
>I have no experience with this company. I have used Media Master
>to do this type of work and it barely works.
>       dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

I've used Uniform, and it works well.  The one format I found that it
wouldn't read is Apple CP/M.  The program is installed as a device
driver, and allows you to read from a single drive as a DOS drive or a
CP/M drive, depending on which drive letter you use to access it.

I don't remember how to get in touch with the Uniform people, but you
should be able to get it from most mail-order houses.

--
Bryan Donaldson                                             gatech!stiatl!bryan
Sales Technologies, Inc

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (09/16/89)

In article <18370@ut-emx.UUCP> boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
>Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
>software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need

Sydex has a converter as part of their shareware CPM emulator package,
which I think is available on SIMTEL.  The cost for the converter
alone is something like  $15.  (I tried out this package last year;
the emulator didn't run under Digital Research's crippled DRDOS, so
I didn't adopt the program, but the converter worked fine in the
test with Kaypro, Morrow, and Osborne diskettes).

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (09/16/89)

There is also a couple of shareware programs called 22dsk and
anadisk in the msdos directories of Simtel.

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (09/16/89)

I have used CONVERT with no problems (reading DEC Robin format).  I
recommend it.  Incidentally, as far as I know, reading Apple CP/M
requires a hardware modification.  None of these three programs
can do it.

Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/19/89)

I use Media Master, and that has worked well for me.  I have no idea where
to buy it these days, or whether it's even being marketed anymore.

Bill Kuykendall
...ddsw1!point!wek

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (09/21/89)

In <1640017@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) says:

=
=The Programmer's Catalog (800) 421-8006 lists 3 programs that
=do conversion between CPM and MSDOS. They are
=
=   Convert $64
=   Media Master $60
=   Uniform $65.
=
=I have no experience with this company. I have used Media Master
=to do this type of work and it barely works.

Indeed, be careful with MediaMaster.  The version that I have had experience
with would not work with a number of CP/M formats that the vendor claimed
were handled.  Make sure it works with the format(s) you are interested in..
*before* you spend your $'s.  The only format I've gotten it to work with
is Kaypro.  It failed on Cromemco, Columbia Data Systems, and Osborne.  Worse
than that, the people who answer their technical help phone were no help, and
seemed *very* defensive.  I've been flamed before for flaming MediaMaster, so
if you're so inclined, save your energy.  The fact is that the product was (is?)
flawed, and the vendor is no help with it.  BE CAREFUL!
           roger             rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/23/89)

>*before* you spend your $'s.  The only format I've gotten it to work with
>is Kaypro.  It failed on Cromemco, Columbia Data Systems, and Osborne.  Wors

I've used it with Osborne and several other formats.  If you have a 1.2 MB
drive, it will warn you that it may not be readable on a 40 track drive.
I've found that stepping my 16mz machine down to 8mz does the trick every
time. Occasionally, I've had to write the Osborne disk more than once to make
it readable.  But hey, what do you want?  No program on an IBM can make those
old CP/M drives work any better.  They just weren't made to read the skinny
tracks written by 80 track drives.  All in all, Media Master works better
than one really has a right to expect.

  There is still a market for converting 8" CP/M disks to MS-DOS. I have
been doing the original 243k disks for $10/each, and get enough interest
to keep my old S-100 system going. I have done other 8" formats for
higher prices, but the bulk of what I get is 243k. I never got a call
for any 5-1/4" formats other than what I do for myself, but there are
lots of commercial places who offer that.

that the world is flat!" - anon

tbetz@upaya.UUCP (Tom Betz) (09/27/89)

Quoth dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) in <1640017@hpspcoi.HP.COM>:
|>Not to long ago I saw an ad for a company which sells hardware/
|>software to convert between CP/M disks and MS-DOS.  Now that I need
|
|The Programmer's Catalog (800) 421-8006 lists 3 programs that
|do conversion between CPM and MSDOS. They are
|
|   Convert $64
|   Media Master $60
|   Uniform $65.

Do not forget the shareware solutions!  I have (and have used
once, successfully - if it works once more I'm sold) a program
called 22Disk from Sydex, (408) 739-4866.

$15 to register, available on many popular BBSs.

Look for 22DSK130 or 22DSK131.[ZIP|ARC]

--
"For a successful technology,          |  Tom Betz - GBS - 914-375-1510
 reality must take precedence over     |      tbetz@upaya.lilink.com