[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC/Mainframe File Compression

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (09/19/89)

I am looking for software that can be used to compress a file on the
mainframe that has a counterpart to de-compress on the PC once the
file has been dowloaded.  Anyone doing anything like this or know
of any software that will work?  BTW, the above should say IBM mainframe.

 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
 |From the Internet: gmidkiff@dsacg1.dla.mil                             |
 |Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.   |

sbanner1@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (S. John Banner) (09/20/89)

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:

>I am looking for software that can be used to compress a file on the
>mainframe that has a counterpart to de-compress on the PC once the
>file has been dowloaded.  Anyone doing anything like this or know
>of any software that will work?  BTW, the above should say IBM mainframe.
The listserv at BLEKUL11 has zoo for IBM mainframes, as well as
compress (which I believe is compatable with the UNIX compress).  I
havn't had a chance to look at them, so I can't comment, but at
least you now know where to look (I understand that that node is
somewhere in Denmark, or there abouts if that helps).  They also
claim to have ported Rogue, Larn, and Moria to CMS (yes, the above
are for CMS, not MVS, or any of the other systems), though I havn't
looked at those either (Curses for CMS??? they claim it works...).

		    sjb.

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (09/28/89)

I recently posted an article requesting information on compression software
for use on PCs and IBM mainframes.  One reply was from someone at Univ. of
Pennsylvania, saying that they use Arcutil which allows archive and dearchive
using the usual PKARC and PKXARC.  Attempts to email for more information
were returned as 'Unknown Host'.

Does anyone know about or use Arcutil on a MVS mainframe that can supply
somemore information.  Maybe the original responder will see this and
get in touch with me again.