[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Logitech Mouse with Super VGA?

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (09/26/89)

I am having problems with a Logitech mouse (using mouse driver 4.0) with
a Paradise VGA+16 in Super VGA mode (800 x 600).  I get input fine, but
the cursor does not show up.  Any ideas?

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/26/89)

In article <2382@hub.UUCP>, grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

> I am having problems with a Logitech mouse (using mouse driver 4.0) with
> a Paradise VGA+16 in Super VGA mode (800 x 600).  I get input fine, but
> the cursor does not show up.  Any ideas?

I had a paradise vga+16 which, from the day it was installed, did not portray
a cursor in any text mode.  We called our distributer whom sent a new board
which fixed the problem.  Apparently it was a bad board.

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/27/89)

In article <2382@hub.UUCP> grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

|I am having problems with a Logitech mouse (using mouse driver 4.0) with
|a Paradise VGA+16 in Super VGA mode (800 x 600).  I get input fine, but
|the cursor does not show up.  Any ideas?

Throw away your Logitech mouse and get a Microsoft Mouse. That's what
I had to do after my Orchid ProDesigner didn't talk to the Logitech
and Logitech never answered their phone. The MSM works just fine.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Should the US send assault rifles to Colombia? How about small arms?"

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/28/89)

In article <27508@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <2382@hub.UUCP> grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:
>|I am having problems with a Logitech mouse (using mouse driver 4.0) ...
>Throw away your Logitech mouse and get a Microsoft Mouse. ...

If you have a serial mouse, all you need is a recent Microsoft mouse driver.
The Logitech mouse faithfully implements the MS protocol and Microsoft
drivers are happy with it.

To my considerable surprise, Microsoft is pretty casual about passing around
their mouse drivers, most likely because they update them about every two
weeks and new versions of their software never work with old drivers.  if
you have one of their mouse-oriented products like Word or Windows, they
include a mouse driver.  Otherwise, they seem to have sanctioned putting the
drivers on BBSes.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu