[comp.sys.ibm.pc] command.com SWITCH character in MS-DOS 4.01

karl@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (karl.r.barnhardt) (09/27/89)

I just installed MS-DOS 4.01 on my PC and discovered that command.com
apparently no longer pays attention to the SWITCH character. No matter
what it is set to command.com insists on using "/". I remember some
discussion concening this a couple of month ago, but I didn't pay any
attention to it. Now I need the information. Is there a way to make
command.com use the SWITCH character?

Thanks.

Karl Barnhardt       att!homxb!krb

src@cup.portal.com (Steve R Calwas) (09/28/89)

karl@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (karl.r.barnhardt) writes:

>I just installed MS-DOS 4.01 on my PC and discovered that command.com
>apparently no longer pays attention to the SWITCH character.
>Is there a way to make command.com use the SWITCH character?

Yes and no.  As you have found, DOS 4.0 (and the OS/2 "compatibility" box)
no longer support a modified switchar.  The good news is that the new
version of Anarkey 3.0 supports the use of the UNIX switchar conventions
(i.e. slashes as path separators and dashes as option specifiers).  The
Anarkey switchar support is much more comprehensive than the old switchar
programs that relied on the (now unsupported) DOS function.  With Anarkey,
ALL programs can use the UNIX switchar conventions.  So not only can the
modified switchar be used on internal COMMAND.COM commands like DIR and
COPY, but it can also be used on external transient programs like XCOPY and
LINK.

I will upload the latest version of Anarkey to comp.binaries.ibm.pc soon.

Steve Calwas                    src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                 ...!sun!cup.portal.com!src