[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NNANSI doesn't work with Codeview 2.2

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (09/26/89)

Hi,
  Has anyone noticed that CodeView doesn't work with NNANSI?  It
seems that CodeView plays with multiple screen pages, NNANSI doesn't
seem to cooperate.  Anyone got a fix or workaround?
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/27/89)

In article <768@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>Hi,
>  Has anyone noticed that CodeView doesn't work with NNANSI?  It
>seems that CodeView plays with multiple screen pages, NNANSI doesn't
>seem to cooperate.  Anyone got a fix or workaround?

The problem is that NNANSI uses the "multiple screen pages" as one large
page which it scrolls -- thus its fast performance. You can compile NNANSI
with FAST=0. Then CodeView (and some other programs) will work, but you loose
most of the performance advantages.

I'm working on improvements to NNANSI, and have found some strange problems
(that were even in NANSI) -- adding declarations at the beginning of the code
causes it to crash (???) and the system crashes when using 386/MAX, attempting
to load the driver in high memory.

Improvments:

1. Option to compile without keyboard remapping (this ansi.sys feature is
   apparently used by some Trojan Horse programs).

2. Improved performance in graphic mode

3. Hook to allow proper operation with Paradise VGA cards, and others that
   set the display mode byte "wrong" when in high resolution character modes.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (09/28/89)

I tried using both nansi and nnansi with my Paradise VGA Plus. At the
DOS prompt, when using any of the Paradise extended text modes (132x43
and 132x25), the first character of the next most recent line would
be erased as the file is typed to the screen. With nnansi, bright spots
surrounded both sides of my prompt, which disappears when the graphics
cursor off batch file was run.  NNANSIN did not have the spurious
graphics cursor, nor the erased character. But it appeared to crash
a program. Good luck in fine-tuning nnansi.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411