[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP!!!

msa@toybox.UUCP (Mark Anacker) (02/11/89)

[]
HELP!!!
  Yesterday, the 40mb disk in my Compaq 386 bit the oxide... with
  a screech that could be heard across the office.  I need to get
  a new drive fairly soon.  Compaq tends to be pretty IBMPC
  compatible, but this drive is not an ESDI drive, but something
  unique to Compaq.  The best price I've found so far is $1086.
  $1K for a mere 40mb - YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!  So, the question
  is, has anyone out there managed to get a non-Compaq disk to
  work?  Or, have you been able to use a non-Compaq controller and
  a more standard drive?  I tried installing an IBM AT controller,
  but it hangs in the POST.

  Please reply by e-mail to save the net.  Thanks for the time.
--
Mark Anacker, US West Network Systems Inc., Bellevue, WA
{...uw-beaver!tikal,...!thebes}!toybox!msa -or- msa@toybox

kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) (02/14/89)

In article <105@toybox.UUCP>, msa@toybox.UUCP (Mark Anacker) writes:
> []
> HELP!!!
	{stuff deleted}

>   has anyone out there managed to get a non-Compaq disk to
>   work?  Or, have you been able to use a non-Compaq controller and
>   a more standard drive?  I tried installing an IBM AT controller,
>   but it hangs in the POST.

Welcome to the world of Compaq hardware failure!!!  Compaq makes good stuff
but when it dies you better have a BIG jar of vasoline!!! I priced 30 meg
hdd's about 3 months ago and they were REDICULOUSLY high ($1100+).

You can't use a "generic" IBM hd with a compaq because you need compaq's
controller card and you can't use a compaq controller card in a non-compaq
machine because you need compaq's BIOS (they have written their own BIOS to
squeeze a bit more speed out ot these frequently called routines) and naturally
you need compaq's motherboard to use their BIOS 'cause it is dependent on
compaq's architechure.

Looks like you will either need to pay up or find a hot compaq drive to
install yourself!

K. Franden
Informix Software Inc.
(I said what I said and not my employer)

msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) (02/14/89)

In article <889@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:
>In article <105@toybox.UUCP>, msa@toybox.UUCP (Mark Anacker) writes:
>	{stuff deleted}
I just put in a MAXTOR 8380 (380MB unformatted) in our COMPAQ286 with
a ESDI controller.  The disk is now working fine, however I ran into the
same problem with the old COMPAQ disk (40MB) which is not compatible
with anything out there, not even a COMPAQ Deskpro (XT compatible). So,
now there is a 40MB disk sitting there doing nothing.  My advice is to
stay away from COMPAQ and IBM goods if you want to work on their innards
yourself.  COMPAQ like IBM thinks that its customers are too stupid to
work on hardware themselves and are rich enough to pay $65/hr. for a
serviceman everytime something goes wrong.

		Monty (I love Northgate) Baveja

kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) (02/15/89)

In article <329@hal.UUCP>, msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) writes:

> >	{stuff deleted}
> I just put in a MAXTOR 8380 (380MB unformatted) in our COMPAQ286 with
> a ESDI controller.  The disk is now working fine, however I ran into the
> same problem with the old COMPAQ disk (40MB) which is not compatible
> with anything out there, not even a COMPAQ Deskpro (XT compatible). So,
> now there is a 40MB disk sitting there doing nothing.  My advice is to
> stay away from COMPAQ and IBM goods if you want to work on their innards
> yourself.  COMPAQ like IBM thinks that its customers are too stupid to
> work on hardware themselves and are rich enough to pay $65/hr. for a
> serviceman everytime something goes wrong.

I will have to stand corrected.  I think I was using the older comapq
disks (I was trying to go the other way... compaq to clone) disks
for my experiment.  Thanks for the correction.

I DO agree with your assessment of Compaq being a (not so) IBM clone in
both architechure and their dealings with end users!

Kevin Franden.
(I *still* said what I said and not my employer)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/17/89)

In article <889@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:
<
<You can't use a "generic" IBM hd with a compaq because you need compaq's
<controller card and you can't use a compaq controller card in a non-compaq
<machine because you need compaq's BIOS (they have written their own BIOS to
<squeeze a bit more speed out ot these frequently called routines) and naturally
<you need compaq's motherboard to use their BIOS 'cause it is dependent on
<compaq's architechure.

Sorry, not true.  Case in point, the Compaq 386/16 that I am using as the
terminal to the VAX, has a 70MB ST-506 interface drive, with an AT 16-bit
hard drive controller card.  The Compaq card is still in the PC for the
floppies, with the hard drive section turned off.  Last week I installed
a 40MB drive in another Compaq 386/16, because the Compaq 40MB drive crashed.
Again a AT 16-bit hard drive card was installed and the Compaq hard drive
section turned off.

Works great, saves alot of money.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Sunil S. Desai) (05/05/89)

Hi !

While trying to install JT-Fax 9600 in an HP Vectra PC, I have run into
this problem:

Computer:     HP Vectra(AT Compatible), 640k ram, 20 Mb hd
Peripherals:  Western Digital VGA+ card, 3Com Etherlink+ card,
              JT-Fax 9600 card, HP 4 function (floppy, hard disk,
              parallel and serial port) controller card, and
              HP Scanjet interface card.
Monitor:      Princeton Graphics Ultra 16"
Software:     Dos 3.2, HP Scanjet driver v A.02.00, JT-FAX v 1.17,
              Windows 2.03

The JT-Fax card is set up to address D000-DFFF in ROM.
The Scanjet card is set up to address I/O addresses 278H-27FH and
    CC00-CFFF in ROM.

I can load windows and scanning gallery software to use the scanner.
No problems.

I can load JT-FAX software and send ASCII files and receive any type
of faxes.  No problems.

I can access our network.  No problems.

But when I tell JT-FAX software to send directly from scanner,
or when I try to use their SIG program to scan and crate our Signature
and Letterhead files, I get the following error:
    THE SCANNER HARDWARE DOES NOT RESPOND.  DISCONTINUING...
and after a few second the program retuns to DOS prompt.  No activity
on scanner.  I can go into windows and scan without any problems, ruling
out Scanner OFF LINE or loose cable errors.

I have placed calles to Quadram and they have not heard of this problem.
I called HP and they said they have it working.

Any help on this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

sunil desai  (ssdesai@elbereth.rutgers.edu)
~~~~~~~~~~~

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (05/31/89)

I recently posted a request for help with printer drivers.  I received a
response to the effect that PC-WRITE included a number of them in ASCII
which required pre-processing to be functional.

Does anybody have any other sources to offer?

I seems pretty idiotic that we would have to re-invent the wheel for
adding a number of printer drivers to software when a couple million
packages come with them.

SURELY ( I hope! ) there must be a good source of canned stuff on this...

HELP!!!

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

jfm@maiden.med.unc.edu (John F. Miller) (06/02/89)

In The C Users' Journal is an advertisement from The Symmetry Group,
P.O. Box 26195, Columbus, OH 43226-0195 (tel. 614-431-2667), for
"SLATE, A Universal Printer Driver with more than 250 printers
Preconfigured".  The price is $299.  I know nothing more about this
product than what appears in the ad.

As Joe Bob says, "check it out."

  John F. Miller
  Department of Pharmacology
  UNC-CH School of Medicine

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (09/28/89)

If am putting together a AT clone and am having a problem.  I've got the
motherboard installed OK and have the video card and monitor working.

Now, I'm trying to put in the disk controller card.  The card is a Seagate
ST02 SCSI controller.  I have the jumpers on the card set as per the manual
and have the jumpers on the hard drive (a Seagate st157n) set correctly
(Parity enabled, drive 0).

Here's the question:  I now have to hook up the floppies.  I have a 1.2meg
5 1/4" drive and a 1.44meg 3 1/2" drive.  Both are brand new Teac drives.
The cables I have are the standard drive ribbon cables.  One with an XT (edge)
terminator and on with a AT (pin-type) terminator.  How do I hook up the
drives??
The cables each have two edge connectors for hooking to the drive.  Which
do I use, the one at the end or the one in the middle??
How do I determine which is drive A and which is drive B?? (I want the 5 1/4"
to be drive A).

What is the correct drive type for the ST157N??  I need to set this in the
Setup rom but I not sure of the correct value.

Right now, when I boot up, it looks at the controller, returns the Seagate
bios message and reports 1 SCSI present.  Before it does this it says something
like drive 0 not responding, drive 1 not responding.
(the motherboard by the way is a 20MHz 286 with 2megs on board at present)

Also, do I setup (in the bios rom) the floppies the same way as if I
wasn't using the SCSI controller??

HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
alan
as2d@andrew.cmu.edu

dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) (09/29/89)

>Now, I'm trying to put in the disk controller card.  The card is a Seagate
>ST02 SCSI controller.  I have the jumpers on the card set as per the manual
>and have the jumpers on the hard drive (a Seagate st157n) set correctly
>(Parity enabled, drive 0).

[...]

>What is the correct drive type for the ST157N??  I need to set this in the
>Setup rom but I not sure of the correct value.
>
>Right now, when I boot up, it looks at the controller, returns the Seagate
>bios message and reports 1 SCSI present.  Before it does this it says something
>like drive 0 not responding, drive 1 not responding.

I installed the ST01 in my 386 system and configured my system via the
set-up menu as having no hard disks installed.  The ST01 (and ST02)
take care of everything.  My system boots, gives me some info about the
SCSI host adaptor and tells me that one SCSI device was found.  It then
looks for a disk in drive A followed by drive C.  My disk is partitioned
as C,D, and E (ST277N, 65meg).

I can't help you with the floppy installation as I used a standard floppy
controller.

Dave Regis
nosig