[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 43 lines in Desqview 2.2 ?

jng@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/28/89)

Can I get 43 lines in Desqview 2.2? When I goto the video option,
choose the 43 mode, I still get only 25 lines.

I have a compuadd 286, with EGA, and runnign pcdos 4.0,
I try mode con lines=43, turning to 43 lines mode, then type dv,
it will be still be in 43 lines mode, but I still get a maxi window
height at 25. I then goto the setup program and set the window to
something like 1 1 43 80, it just won't let me. Can anyone help?
The ultimate question is I want to have a 20 lines window and a 19 lines
window running without overlapping each other. Is that possible?
I will be very happy if I can have 2 25 lines windows.

Any pointers or help willbe greatly appreciated. Thanks!
--Joseph Ng--
jng@cs.uiuc.edu or jng%p.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

jcf3703@ttardis.UUCP (chap flack) (09/29/89)

In article <8000056@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, jng@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Can I get 43 lines in Desqview 2.2? When I goto the video option,
>choose the 43 mode, I still get only 25 lines.
>--Joseph Ng--
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>jng@cs.uiuc.edu or jng%p.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

Just for the heck of it, I'll describe a related problem I've
encountered, which may not directly apply to your situation in the
details I've omitted, but may suggest some possibilities....

I'm running DESQview 2.25 under MS-DOS 3.3 with VGA.  QuickC and
Microsoft Editor (both bundled with MS's C 5.1 package) both have
options allowing you to specify a denser display than the standard
25 lines.  If the display is in the standard mode, they'll flip it
to squinty mode for you and flip it back when you're done.  Nice.

Now run the same programs under DESQview.  Start in standard 25-line
mode.  Open one of these programs--it changes the video mode.  So far
so good--DV is perfectly happy to show everything else in the new mode.
However, it still chops the editor window to the size in the .DVP: 25
lines.

Just edit the .DVP, you say?  Ah, yes.  But then, both QuickC and Microsoft
Editor apparently are fooled into thinking that the display is already in
squinty mode, so they don't bother to set it!  Now  you have 43-line windows
on a 25-line screen.

Sure, you can fix that by changing the video mode manually in the
Rearrange: Video Modes option, or by deciding you *always* want to run in
that mode.  But it shouldn't have to be.  When I open Ventura, it puts me
in a graphic mode; DESQview happily obliges by displaying all other windows
in that mode, but when I exit Ventura, I pop back to (faster) text mode.
I'd like the same thing to happen here; I can't because Microsoft made these
utilities TOO smart.  *sigh*

This got long.  Sorry.  If it doesn't address your problem exactly, maybe it
will be of help to someone else....
-Chap

"i look around . . . i feel comparatively healthy."         (steven soderbergh)
   brought to you by the kind hospitality of the ttardis public-access people
   . . . any views expressed here are my own (or were when i wrote them)