[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP with SIMTEL

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (09/30/89)

	Hi there !  I've got a slight problem FTPing from the SIMTEL archives.  Apparently, I'm doing something stupid.  I login as an anonymous user and give
guest as a password.  So far, so good.  I then try to get into the MSDOS
directory by typing "cd pd1:<MSDOS.XXX>" (XXX = sudir name).  I then get a
message stating that there is no such directory!  I did this a few days ago
and had no problems.  Has something at SIMTEL changed or am I only allowed to
FTP x number of times a week/month/year?

	BTW, I tried getting into the MACINTOSH archives at SIMTEL and had no
problems at all.  Any suggestions or answers out there?  If so, please email
me.  Thanx in advance!!!

Danny Lee
642-4436

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (10/01/89)

In article <1989Sep30.115816.22373@agate.berkeley.edu> danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) writes:

>	Hi there !  I've got a slight problem FTPing from the SIMTEL archives.  Apparently, I'm doing something stupid.  I login as an anonymous user and give
>guest as a password.  So far, so good.  I then try to get into the MSDOS
>directory by typing "cd pd1:<MSDOS.XXX>" (XXX = sudir name).  I then get a
>message stating that there is no such directory!  I did this a few days ago
>and had no problems.  Has something at SIMTEL changed or am I only allowed to
>FTP x number of times a week/month/year?

The people at Simtel sent me some mail which said that PD1 was down for
a while and they were trying to recreate it ASAP.  Don't know the
timetable.

RF
Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/01/89)

In article <1989Sep30.115816.22373@agate.berkeley.edu>, danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) writes:
 >guest as a password.  So far, so good.  I then try to get into the MSDOS
 >directory by typing "cd pd1:<MSDOS.XXX>" (XXX = sudir name).  I then get a
 >message stating that there is no such directory!  I did this a few days ago
 >and had no problems.  Has something at SIMTEL changed or am I only allowed
 >to FTP x number of times a week/month/year?

No, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing.  I've had the
same problems that you are having.  Since I can also access the Unix
archives, I would assume that something went wrong with the MS-DOS
archives.

Since it's the weekend, I wouldn't expect a fix anytime before Monday.
In the meantime, wuarchive.wustl.edu maintains a "mirror" archive
of the SIMTEL20 MS-DOS directories; look in /mirrors/msdos.

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us