[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PRODIGY

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (07/15/89)

In article <17638@gryphon.COM>, brendan@gryphon.COM (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

>  If you want my opinion, it's not worth it. It's slow, is lacking in MANY
>  things, etc etc etc...

There's also the question of just how much information about your personal
life and habits you wish to bequeath to the brain(?)child of IBM and Sears!
I always suggest thinking twice about these fancy (?), new (??) electronic
services that offer you great convenience at the expense of producing, for
someone else, a comprehensive record of where you are, what you do, or what
you buy.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

crom@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Netnews Administrator) (09/29/89)

Does anyone know how the PRODIGY service from Sears/IBM handles the
communications between the PC and the host machine?  I was wondering whether
it was custom software or whether there is an available library of functions
that provide the transport layer over a dialup link.  I'm assuming that they
are using some error correcting protocol.  Thanks for any info you can give.
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) (10/01/89)

In article <4185@cuuxb.ATT.COM> att!spock!jcd (Jack Dixon) writes:

>Does anyone know how the PRODIGY service from Sears/IBM handles the
>communications between the PC and the host machine?  I was wondering whether
>it was custom software or whether there is an available library of functions
>that provide the transport layer over a dialup link.  I'm assuming that they
>are using some error correcting protocol.  Thanks for any info you can give.

Last I checked they were using a *very* proprietary protocol, with custom
software on the PC, a special set of comms code running on regional IBM
Series/1 mini-computers, and some sort of (I believe) SNA flavored mainframe
interface over MCI long distance lines.  I got a call from some Series/1
contract head-hunters (I am one of the few people left in the world that
speaks Series/1) about a long, long project fixing and enhancing Series/1
code for IBM to try to make this stuff work.  Did not take the job.

Near as I can tell, the code and the PC side protocols are *very* proprietary,
and they are not even publishing an interface specification, much less a
transport library.  They want to *force* you to use their software, no matter
how bad it is.  (Can't have you taking out the ads or being able to print
things....)

Tom

--
Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.