[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Converting Turbo C to TopSpeed Modula-2

ern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Ernest J Obusek) (09/29/89)

I'd like to convert some programs written in Turbo C to TopSpeed Modula-2, but
there is a function in the TC library that I absolutely need.  Can anyone
confirm for me whether or not TopSpeed has something similar to TC's 'spawn'
function?  This is a call that will allow a parent program to load and run
a child program.  When the child is finished executing, the parent resumes
execution where it left off.

Thanks for your help!

Ernest

ern@unix.cis.pitt.edu
ern@cisunx.UUCP

ben@val.UUCP (Ben Thornton) (10/03/89)

ern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Ernest J Obusek) writes:

>I'd like to convert some programs written in Turbo C to TopSpeed Modula-2, but
>there is a function in the TC library that I absolutely need.  Can anyone
>confirm for me whether or not TopSpeed has something similar to TC's 'spawn'
>function?  This is a call that will allow a parent program to load and run
>a child program.  When the child is finished executing, the parent resumes
>execution where it left off.

You can use the library routine Lib.Execute which comes with the standard
Topspeed distribution.  You need to allocate storage from the heap to
run the program in before you make the call, however.
--

Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM
Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!val!ben