[comp.sys.ibm.pc] External 3.5" drive for XT

dkchen@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/13/89)

Hi!
	I am planning to buy an EXTERNAL 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive and its
controller for my turbo XT clone. Can anybody give me some idea where to start?

Thanks.

D. Chen

MGREENE@AUVM.BITNET (Michael A. Greene) (09/16/89)

You can't run a 1.44 mb 3.5" from an XT.  The data xfer rate is too
slow.  You can run a 720.

Save your money.

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (09/19/89)

In article <89258.220000MGREENE@AUVM.BITNET> MGREENE@AUVM.BITNET (Michael A. Greene) writes:
>You can't run a 1.44 mb 3.5" from an XT.  The data xfer rate is too
>slow.  You can run a 720.
>
>Save your money.

Just to clarify a couple of issues:

1. An XT controller will not handle an 1.44 MB 3.5" drive.  Transfer
rate limitations do come into effect here.

2. Lots of people (including me) have these drives (1.44 MB) in XT's or
clones.  All that is involved is replacing the controller.  Since the
original poster wants an external drive, either Compaticard I or
WD-FOX-4 would work fine.  The cost of the controller (about $120)
would be much less than the cost of the drive in an external case ($150
to $200).

3. The XT bus/motherboard can handle the data transfer rate of
the 1.44 drives very well.  (Some people with AT's have poor
performance, though.  Isn't that interesting?)

4. It is true that most PC/XT's will take a 720K 3.5" as a second (B:)
drive without other hardware modifications.  There are lots of good
reasons to consider this route:
	a. You don't have to buy a new controller
	b. 720K drives are (a little, like $10) cheaper
	c. 720K disks are a lot cheaper ($1 vs $4)
	d. The 720K disks are more standard.  Software (like DOS, MS
	   Word, ...) is distributed on them. 1.44 drives can write
	   them without problems, etc, etc.
	e. Older DOS supports them (3.2) so drivers are less likely to
	   be needed.  (I have seen places charging $15 for a
	   driver!)

One of the big reasons, cost of HD disks, has recently diminished since
disks are now down to about $2.00 each in large quantities mail order.
Our campus book store sell 10 3M HD disks for 33.50.  Of course, the
DSDD disk are $13.50, so the price per megabyte is still lower for the
720K disks.

All prices refer to mail order (except where noted).  You local store
may be higher.  I hope this makes things more clear.

Thanks - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

smith@ug.cs.dal.ca (Your Worst Nightmare) (09/19/89)

In article <89258.220000MGREENE@AUVM.BITNET> MGREENE@AUVM.BITNET (Michael A. Greene) writes:
>You can't run a 1.44 mb 3.5" from an XT.  The data xfer rate is too
>slow.  You can run a 720.
>
>Save your money.

	Actually, you can.  I've used the Sysgen Omnibridge on a PC clone
(not XT, PC) with mixed results.  It can be done, but only with a LOT of
fiddling.

	Sean

|   Sean Smith - Damage Inc.         "Let me tell you what you're trying   |
|   Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada      to say..."  01SSMITH@AC.DAL.CA too   |
|   These ideas are mine...ALL MINE!!!  *maniacal laughter*                |

davem@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Dave McQuate) (09/19/89)

Try a "MegaMate" external 1.44M floppy for PC/XT/AT from

MicroSolutions
132 W. Lincoln Hwy
DeKalb, IL  60115
(815) 756-3411

It handles 720K/1.4M automatically sensing which.  $349 list.
I've used 'em on both an XT and AT clones.  It has its own floppy
controller.  Doesn't work with PCTOOLS PCBACKUP because that program
doesn't know about the added floppy controller--and it wants to use
DMA.  But otherwise it's a solid unit.  I've had no problems at all.
(Disclaimer: I am a dealer for MicroSolutions)

Dave McQuate

Voice: 		(707) 577-4585
ARPANET:	davem%hpmwtd@hplabs.HP.COM
INTERNET:	davem%hpmwtd@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:		...hplabs!hpmwtd!davem

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (09/19/89)

Michael Green says...
*You can't run a 1.44 mb 3.5" from an XT.  The data xfer rate is too
slow.  You can run a 720.*

This is nonsense!  I've been running a 1.44 mb 3.5" external drive on
my XT for 6 months (with DOS 3.2).  Megamate, sold by Blue Heron, DeKalb
Illinois, fits the bill, comes with driver and software.  No problem at
all.
Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu

kv56962@tut.fi (V{{r{nen Kari) (09/23/89)

In article <910014@hpmwdjm.HP.COM> davem@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Dave McQuate) writes:

>            Doesn't work with PCTOOLS PCBACKUP because that program
> doesn't know about the added floppy controller--and it wants to use
> DMA.

I bought a TMC floppy controller a week ago. It can have 4 floppy disk
drives, one of which can be external. I am using it on my XT-clone
with success. I now have 360 kB as A and 1.44 MB as B. Both drives are
internal.

PC-BACKUP works fine with my 1.44 MB disk drive. DOS format takes 1
min 26 secs (is that fast or what?)! I don't need drivers of any kind,
neither do I need any 'drivparms'. I haven't tested yet, if my XT can
boot from that 1.44 MB (changing it to A would be necessary, of
course).

The controller has a bios of its own. The BIOS of my XT is DTK ERSO
BIOS, dated 1986...

Now the important point: money. The 1.44 drive is TEAC (check the
price yourself). The controller costs about USD 100. However, I had to
buy new multi I/O card because the old one was a "multi I/O card with a
floppy controller"... Well, to me it was worth it...

--
	SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH	(The dolphins)
Kari Vaaranen                                 Tampere University of Technology

blitter@ele.tue.nl (Blitter_stagairs_Frans) (10/03/89)

OK, now for the total sum up:
Standard XT (PC) floppy controllers support only 1 transferrate: 250 kbit/s
(Yes, I know they also support 125 kbit/s single density format but this
died long ago)
With this transfer rate two types of floppys are supported: 360 kb 5.25"
and 720 kb 3.5". Also 720kb 5.25" is supported but this never made it in
the PC world.
Standard AT floppy controllers support 3 transfer rates:
250 kbit/s for 5.25" 360kb and 3.5: 720kb (same as XT)
300 kbit/s for 360kb floppy in 1.2 MB drive
500 kbit/s for 1.2 MB 5.25" and 1.44 MB 3.5"

Now the question arises why there is only 1.2 MB on a 5.25" floppy and
1.44 MB on a 3.5" floppy. This is because 1.2MB drives have 360rpm
motors and 1.44MB drives turn 300 rpm. All drives except 1.2 MB turn
at 300 rpm. This results in 15 sectors/track on a 1.2MB drive and
18 sectors/track on a 1.44MB drive.

Now it also becomes clear why you need the 300kbit/s transfer rate in an
AT. The normal 360kb floppy in an 1.2MB drive turns at 360 rpm, this
means that the you must multiply the standard 250 kbit/s transfer rate
with a factor 360/300 and then you get exactly 300 kbit/s.

To make matters even more complicated there are certain 1.2MB drives
that change speed from 360 rpm to 300 rpm if they are set to
double density (360kb). In this case the controller doesn't have
to support 300 kbit/s transfer rate.

All this means that in principle you can't use 1.2MB or 1.44MB drives in
an XT because the controller won't support it. BUT, there are new
(and improved :-)) controllers which do support these drives and
transfer rates in an XT. These controllers must be accompanied by
software, either on floppy (device drivers) or on ROM on the controller.

Paul Derks

Disclaimer:  Anything I say can not and wil not be used against me!